Existing Member?

Ruth's Travel Blog

I'M HERE!!!

THAILAND | Tuesday, 30 April 2013 | Views [771]

Here I am!!

I saw some amazing views from the flight, all the deserts and sandy bits all round Dubai, and then coming into Asia, lots of rice paddies and little villages, and amazing sunsets too.

I got to Bangkok about 45 minutes early, which having travelled such a distance Glasgow to Dubai to Bangkok is pretty good! Both my flights I had the window seat, and booth flights I was the only person on that row so I could stretch out which was brilliant.

I thought my bags had gone missing when I got through to luggage collection, but actually the bags coming through were from another flight, THEN my flights bags started coming through. I found the meeting point where I was to meet a rep from TTT (Teach and Travel Thailand) but he wasnt there yet since I was so early. Actually he got there less than a minute after I did. He took me and another guy Dave down to where there were a few others waiting for transfer to our hotel and we all piled into a taxi, it probably took about half an hour from the airport.

First, when we got to the hotel we had to register, so apply for our teaching waiver, pay our deposit for the accommodation for the next six months etc. At the last table, we found out where we are based... I am based in a city called Surin in the south east of Thailand, near the Cambodian border, about five hours bus journey away from here in Bangkok. There are lots of elephants there so it's going to be incredible. I am based in a school with lots if other people on the internship, teaching kindergarten to primary which I exactly what I had hoped for! 

Last night I met everyone else, who were all by the pool in the dark drinking. I had a long cold shower, then headed up to join them. We ended up being told by security to leave or quieten down so we met down at the lobby and headed out for some drinks.

Lets just say that jet lag and hangover aren't a good combination but I'm glad I didn't turn down a few drinks, it was great to meet all these people who I've known online since the start of the year.

The heat here is mental. It's 35degrees right now, but is said to feel about 40. My hair, which I had all cut short for coming away has gone really curly. Not sure it's a good thing!!

Today is the first day our week long orientation, I'm just on a lunch break now. They have been telling us about life in Thailand, the people, the culture etc. 

More soon xx

Tags: bangkok, hangover, heat, jet lag, tefl.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.