Existing Member?

Russ & Tash's travels

Cat Ba Island & Halong Bay

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 22 April 2014 | Views [383]

We were happy to leave Hue despite facing a mammoth 16hour overnight train journey, thankfully booking the best class; soft sleepers. We were lucky to have the bottom beds of a four bed berth and both managed 7-8 hours of sleep - so much better than our other overnight train journey! We transfered to a coach in Hanoi, stayed in Halong city overnight then headed to Cat Ba island by ferry the folllowing morning.

Cat Ba is the largest island in the Halong Bay / Lan Ha Bay areas, all made up of varying sizes of limestone masses surrounded by water, and has a relaxed island feel to it. On our first full day we booked onto a tour which took in the sights of the two bays, included kayaking, swimming and a visit to a grotto. Although the areas are visually stunning, there are many floating fish farms, big cities and a high percentage of boats around contributing to a disappointing amount of rubbish and waste in most areas of the bays: which is a real shame. That being said it was great to see a place so well known for its islands and limestone rock formations.

During our tour we met Nick & Jenny, an awesome couple traveling southwards through Vietnam and were also traveling extensively like us. We hung out together during the day and then decided to meet up for dinner and drinks. From just a couple of beers things esculated quickly to many cocktails, shots and laughing gas balloons in a quirky yet fun bar. The bar man was fully particiating in our (and everyones) fun and saw him slump on a bar stool by 4am and sleep, much to Jenny and Tash's delight now manning bar whilst triumpthantly standing over the bar man like he was a crime scene! The night became day and we thankfully found our beds by 9am the next day. Nice to meet such awesome people, despite them being from Wolverhampton (says the man from the midlands ;) ).

We move on to Hanoi for five nights next, then finish in Singapore. Not long til we are home! 

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.