Existing Member?

My YOS - Czech Chronicals

Arrived and settling into Czech republic

CZECH REPUBLIC | Monday, 12 January 2009 | Views [558] | Comments [3]

Arrived at Townshend last Thursday night after an interesting trip. My first two planes from Sydney to Shanghai and then to Zurich were both an hour later than my itinerary said and my sydney plane was like another 30 min late as well, so i had a lot of waiting around. In Shanghai the airport closed at about 11pm so when i got in at about 9pm I went and got some accomodation at a nice little hotel about 10 min drive from the airport. I didnt get to look around much because i got there and left all during the dark. The people were all very nice though and a chinese girl who had been studying in the UK for 3 yrs helped me to check into the accomodation.
Checking in to the airport at Shanghai I got a nice surprise of an upgrade to business class for my 13 hr flight to Zurich which made life much easier as i could actually relax and didnt get a sore back. Swiss airlines are quite good. Once i got to Prague my taxi driver (employed by the school) didnt get there on time so i was a bit lost for like 20 minutes. He then took just less than 2 hrs to drive a 2 1/2 hr drive - lots of speeding!
Anyway, got to the school and met the few people staying here (all the students and everyone else arrive here after holidays tomorrow) but was really tired and went to bed pretty quikly.
The other Aussie girl here on YOS (just arrived last Saturday) and I went into the main city close by here on Friday (Ceske Budejovice, translates into Czech Budweiser, the home of the beer) and looked around and i got some decent snow boots which are nice and warm and like $50 so a bargain! everything is on sale here at present so it is quite good shopping for stuff.
I also got a mobile number here now which is (420) 774122404.

On Saturday I moved into my permanent room in the other dorm where i will be dorm assistant to about 40 or so students ranging from 12 to 19 yrs old. I have a 2 rooms and a bathroom all to myself (i really lucked out with that one!), one of which i will be running a business selling flavoured water and fizzy drinks out of for the students, the money raised is used to buy stuff for the dorms. My room has one of the best views in the dorm, I look directly out over a lake (frozen) and a big castle. Since the school is located at the top of a hill, the views look awesome. I will post pics when i get the chance.

The students are really a great bunch of ppl so far and i have connected with a number of them which is fantastic. One of the grades has gone on a 5 day snow trip this week (they left today) which sounds like it is going to be amazing. They are going to the alps on the german/czech border - so jealous!

The weather here ranges from about -15 to -3 (approximately) so it is chilly outside. Anywhere inside is heated well ( a bit much for my liking) so just need to rug up when you go walking down into the village or into town. I havent used my thermals yet and havent been too cold.

The Bohemian landscape is beautiful. Very white at present. I am amazed how much aerosol is in the air here - long distance visibility isnt great but you get some amazingly red sunsets because of it.

Will update with things soon.

Hope everyone is well!

Comments

1

Great to hear of your safe arrival (business class eh - well done!)& adventures thus far. Actually I found out from Kathy first. Rhui, no need to respond; I will keep informed via your mum & checking in to your blog from time to time. Take good care and I'm sure you are someone who recognises his opportunities & makes the most of them,

Warm Bahai love, Prue

  Prudence Jan 12, 2009 10:34 PM

2

Dear Rhui very glad to hear you arrived safe and happy. I hope you will be all the time happy and serve as you wish. Love
Shahin

  Shahin Jan 12, 2009 11:00 PM

3

RUHI!!
loved reading about your trip so far! hope you have an amazing year! and cant wait to keep reading about your adventures!
muv you

  camelia Jan 13, 2009 3:00 AM

About ruhi


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Czech Republic

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.