Existing Member?

Federer, Cheese, Lindt & Mountains

First week in Suisse, Lausanne

SWITZERLAND | Sunday, 19 August 2012 | Views [578]

Had to say goodbye to mama and papa rug at Milan train station with mum letting the waterworks flow a bit. Took a 3 hour train and got picked up in Lausanne and taken to my flat. To be honest, there was a small element of shock when i arrived at the apartment. Literally nothing in it with just a bed and some clothes storage pieces.

My room mate doesn't arrive until the 30th of August so I've had some time to myself to get settled and get to know the area. Don't tell anyone but i haven't bought a train ticket yet as the places I need to get to are only 2 or 3 stops away. Feel a bit stinge but it's a rich country.

One of the big things I have noticed is that EVERYONE smokes. 13 year old kids to Grandma's. So gross. Going shopping was also an experience, no cadbury, nestle or harvey fresh milk to choose from. I bought Lit Milch, what the hell is Milch?!?!? Luckily it's Light Milk so I don't have dry Corn Flakes. Also that juice is a very scarce commodity. It's all soft drink, couldn't find OJ anywhere which was quite disappointing.

Played beach volleyball with my coach earlier in the week against guys who are in the university team, Lausanne University Club or they call it LUC. (they came 4th last year so pretty confident blokes) My coach introduced me and said I was the setter from aus and they instantly knew who I was, had a good conversation about our league and how they've seen the video etc. Was kinda weird. Anyway my coach (165cm) and myself proceeded to school whoever we got put up against. Aus 3 Suisse 0. Take that. What I found weird was that when we had a drinks break a few of them lit up and had a smoke! No wonder they were sucking in the big ones.

Best part about the beach courts is that they are metres from Lake Geneva which is absolutely amazing. Can see the mountains from up close which is something I've never experienced before with the clouds below the peaks. We went for a swim after and diving in to what i thought was going to be salty water, another surprise as the lake is fresh. (duuuuhhhh)

After the swim had a froth with the coach and had a big chin wag about the upcoming season. For anyone that doesn't really understand I'll be playing for Volleyball Club Lutry-Lavaux (Red, White, Black) in the NLA - National League A. Website is volleyball.ch for all results. vbcll.ch (club website) As players we get free uniform (2 playing tops, shorts, warm up top, polo, training top, tracksuit etc..) free gym, free travel to games on team bus (some are 5 hours away) and the kicker is we get free beer after games as one of the sponsors is boxer beer. So stoked seeing that our games are every Saturday night which makes it so much more social.

Got a lift home from my coach and rode on my first scooter where we passed the FIVB and the IOC and also the International Table Tennis Federation if anyone wants to go there.

Other than having a few more hits of beach I've just been chilling out and going down to the lake before training starts tomorrow night. Have to say never been more excited to get on the court and play in a different environment with different people. Going to be a sponge and take in as much as possible to help develop as a player and a person.

I'll keep you all updated so watch this space

Keep loving life


Rug

About ruggers


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.