Existing Member?

Ruby and Marcello's travel blog

Mexico Part 1- Tulum, Cancun & Isla Mujeres

MEXICO | Thursday, 1 March 2012 | Views [1666]

Tulum

So the cold that I’d got whilst in Belize got pretty bad and Marcello’s stomach was still not the best so our first few days were spent locating various medicines for my ever changing symptoms.

Once somewhat recovered we went to the ruins at Tulum which are apparently the most visited ruins in Central America.

  

These ruins are located on the Caribbean Coast with steps leading from the ruins down to a beautiful beach. It was filled with hot and sweaty tourists, some only in their swimmers and iguanas that basked in the sun.

 

Luckily there were other beaches nearby where we could spend the sweltering afternoon.

Cancun

Ahhh Cancun…in my opinion a shit hole filled with terrible, overpriced food and nothing of particular interest but the beach in the Hotel District is quite stunning. As we approached the beach we were told by a salesman offering beach chairs or beds (yes beds)  that the sand was used for Abu Dhabi. We were also offered “free” tickets to “Coco Bongo” which is where most of MTV’s Spring Break footage is filmed. We politely declined telling the man we were going to Cuba instead.

  

We did in fact go to Cuba and upon our return I was VERY sick with the intestinal infection we’d picked up in Belize. After umming an ahhhing about what to do (I was considering coming home to get checked out) and not really being sure about how serious my condition was we put our faith in Mexican doctors and called a lovely doctor who made a visit to our hotel room in Cancun. He prescribed us a plethora of drugs to get us better and gave me the option of having Marcello administer the antibiotic by needle into my bum for 3 days or taking tablets orally for 7. Content with a 1 week course I chose the tablets.

Isla Mujeres

An island off the coast of Cancun, Isla Mujeres features yet another on the Caribbean’s stunning beaches. We wen here on 2 different day trips to escape Cancun.

  

 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.