Existing Member?

A Moment to be Remembered

The Very Essence

COLOMBIA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [574] | Scholarship Entry

Cartagena, Colombia. What a place. The creatures here defied imagination. Toucans; their beaks becoming them, tiny red birds with wondrously bright feathers, Monkeys parading through branches like acrobats at a circus. This was, after all, their show; dominating the attention of the tourists all throughout the zoo. After a close encounter involving a mango and some teeth, I decided it was time to move along to the pick-up area.

$20 was handed over, and the mini-van took off with a rumbling start. Apparently this was the fashion in Cartagena. I loved it, and I loved this city. Words don’t properly evoke the colours, the feelings, the moments which would begin to erupt around every corner, and upon every shop front. Flowers, rugged and free dangled from windows like a natural tapestry. The cobbled roads bore the reminder of time before. I had already decided; Colombia was the greatest place I’d ever seen.

As the van grinded to a somewhat sudden halt, all of us, in our various manners, abandoned the vehicle to take in the view which preceded us. Mustard yellow walls so strong in colour I could taste, lined this long and undulated street. People, locals, travellers, shifted in and out of columns, through open shop doors and almost danced their way across the busy road just to the right.

As was only natural, my camera was pressed to my eye. I was determined to find the very essence of this moment, and capture it forever. Could I do that in a picture? Turning to my left, I peered into a shop. Why not? I pressed down half way on the shutter, focussing, and notice the face of a man had joined the frame. The owner of the store. This could be interesting.

‘Can I take your photo?’

I took his subtle nod as a resounding yes. His middle-aged frame was strongly built, with skin warm and leathery. Years of work and sun had been etched into his very being. Placing the viewfinder to my eye, I found yet another defining feature. The frame couldn’t hold it; it shone so bright and expanded so wide that I wasn’t sure the street could contain it. I pressed the shutter, grateful for such an offering. Somehow, I had found the essence. I had found the life. This man, with his grin and two-thumbs up, was Colombia. His smile, shining and free, was a gift. One I wear to this day.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About rubykite


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.