Existing Member?

The Jumpers

And They Jump

INDONESIA | Saturday, 10 May 2014 | Views [125] | Scholarship Entry

I look up from under the rocky cliff, seeing the kids even smaller than they already are. They wave at me and the other passerbys rather enthusiastically. Some of us wave back, that includes me. The kids motion to themselves and the river before us. Their small hands then continue on making some kind of gesture, trying to say something. We are all taken aback as we get to understand what they are trying to say. From that high? Seriously? The fresh yet harsh sound of flowing water doesn’t give us any answer. They sound to be excited though. So do us, to be honest. And we nod to the kids only to be triumphed by chirping birds and rustling trees.

The kids only ask for some coins. I take some steps back to get a better look at them. They take off their shirts, the cold air of the mountain wind doesn’t bother them any. They move forward to the edge, all ready and set. Smiles adore their faces as they dare the nature and fear nothing. They seem to mull over as to who goes first. Finally deciding, one of them squares his shoulder and rubs the sides of his shorts. The other kids step back, giving their friend some space and cheer him loudly. After some calming breaths he takes, the kid jogs and leaps just like that aiming for the water under. Time seems to run slowly as I can see the smile never leave the jumping kid like it’s permanent. His hair wave beautifully. His body flies. He kicks around, refusing the gravity to drag him. The small amounts of lights which is peeking from the looming trees shine on him. I am witnessing freedom at that very moment.

Then the water splash. The sound echo to the sky of Baturraden. We all look to each other, kind of worry. The relief comes when a face plastered by joy pops up from the river. The kid shakes his head before shouting to his friends to follow him. Those who left on the rocky cliff shout back and run after each other to jump into the river. Some of them even pull moves. They all land safely on the water, doing high five then laughing it off as if they haven’t just done something risky. Freedom is stunning, really. They then look at us with those big eyes expecting the coins that we have promised before.

I approach them to the river, uncaring as my bare feet step into the water. I hand the coins to the kids and they accepted it with their slightly trembling hand. They smile and beam at me. For that freedom they have showed me I don’t mind giving much, also for the smile that attaches to my face up until now.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About rsydsyhdh


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.