Existing Member?

Travel Blog

A Life of Crime in Colombia and Ecuador

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 18 June 2010 | Views [639]

We've passed the 100 day mark now and are well over halfway through; left the sun behind us on the Caribbean coast for the chilly nights of living in the Andes. I know we complained about all the humidity and the sweating, but now it's cold! Just trying to live up to our British stereotype by complaining incessantly about the weather.


After the confusions between 'coffee' and 'coca' suffered on our hike to Ciudad Perdida we made sure the Salento was actually in the Zona Cafetera before leaving Manizales. Coincidentally, lots of guerillas and cocaine farmers live there too but we didn't run into any. Once convinced we jumped onto the usual slew of dilapidated minivans posing as buses, dressed up to the nines in our thermals and carrying our trashy romance novels. (It seems I have read all the good books that previous travellers have left in Colombia, and am reduced to bodice-ripping tales) It was raining when we arrived so we ran into the first hostel we saw - we are nothing if not well prepared and informed - which turned out to be owned by the loveliest man and best chef ever to leave Barcelona. A few days of his 9 course gourmet breakfasts including  mango & wild trout sashimi and plantain & papaya crudites and we were on the verge of refusing to leave. Buoyed by our epic breakfasts we set out on a hike to a hummingbird farm via some wax palms. The palms grow 30-40ft straight up and are pretty epic, but not as impressive as the massive tree we saw in Mexico. Sorry wax palms. As usual, we had glossed over the word 'hike' and were subsequently shocked by the two hour vertical climb up rocks and through rushing rivers. (Damn rainy season). At our destination we drank some much needed aguapanela (basically just rough sugar dissolved in water.. cheap energy for poor farmers) and I enjoyed Claire's attempts to capture the hummingbirds with her inadequate camera.. she has lots of beautiful shots of empty bird feeders.


The next day we set off on a 'walk' to a coffee plantation, assured by Joseph (hostel owner and new surrogate father) that it would be a hour-ish stroll. Two hours, many blisters, and even more bloody river fording later and we conclude that we are lost. And then remember that Lonely Planet (or Swine, as we have renamed it for those who get the in-joke) strictly forbids wandering in the coffee district for fears of guerilla activity. Well, we scoured those valleys pretty damn hard and all we found were cows, coffee bushes and friendly farmers, so perhaps we should send them a note. Retracing our steps we realised we'd been stupid and gone the wrong way on a clearly marked road, and finally turned up at Don Elias's coffee finca feeling tired and a bit silly. We had a tour, learned lots about coffee (all in Spanish) and then had a quiz at the end. Seriously. Claire excelled, but I got stage fright. Now I'm not under pressure from a 16 year old tour guide, I can tell you that they grow bananas and plantains in the same fields as coffee for three reasons: fertilisation, shade and food for farmers. Facts abound.
Also staying at Joseph's gastro-hostel were a lovely artsy couple who were constantly sketching, taking photographs and befriending old men, we had a few drinks with them an a couple of 70 year olds who considered all-day drinking to be their profession "all thanks to God".


We left Salento satisfyingly full of food and tired from trekking, and turned up in Medellin after a horrendous night's sleep on a bus that played merengue at full blast from 8pm til 5am. I don't like merengue any more.
Medellin is a huge city sat in the trough of a valley with imposing mountains rising up on all sides. AND it has a cable car (Colombia: 2, Venezuela: 0). We spent a day napping in the botanical gardens and perving on the fat Botero sculptures in the centre, then had a huge night out with some Australian and British girls in a trance club outside the centre. We blagged our way in by saying we knew the DJ and emerged knackered several hours later, covered in ticker-tape and with a new appreciation for the mullet haircut.
We decided to blow away the cobwebs by paragliding over the city which was AWESOME. (This is the part where I turn into a little boy again). We were strapped to a random and chucked off the side of a cliff, then soared above the city for half an hour catching little gusts of wind and racing eagles. Words cannot describe it, but Claire has a fear of heights and loved it. (Also it was really, really safe mum, promise). We continued our trend of indulgence by watching SATC2 in a huge multiplex, it felt like being back at home and was really surreal to leave the cinema and not be in Bristol.


Feeling a little guilty at our overindulgence we decided to cut costs by forgetting to pay for our hostel. You snooze you lose, haughty receptionist! Touristy detour to a Salt Cathedral in a town called Zipaquira outside Bogota meant more overnight buses playing more merengue, but we loaded up with breaded goods and managed to sleep a little.
The Salt Cathedral was the most eerie and strange thing we've seen so far, they've turned the excavated caves into a huge cathedral, complete with hidden alcoves full of backlit salt crucifixes, a huge underground dome full of pews, and monks chanting on looped soundsystems. Couple this with the entirety of Bogota's primary school population descending on the site for a school trip and you have a very strange experience. After the 'educational' 3D video on salt excavation we were ready to move on.


Spent a day and a night in Popayan, a pretty colonial whitewashed town where all the streets are identical and everything has meat in it, much to Claire's disgust, then got a day's worth of buses across the border to Ecuador. Stamp, wander across bridge between countries, barter with money changers, stamp. Done.


Arrived in Quito around midnight and managed to find the most clueless taxi driver working in the entirety of Ecuador. We ended up showing him the way, and we get lost in fields! Slept in our first proper bed for days, had our first proper hot shower in ages, and woke up on our 100th day of travels feeling decadent. Banana splits for breakfast followed by lazy sightseeing. A chance meeting with a lovely Ecuadorian civil engineer led to an invitation to chocolate caliente, at which a suspicious American tourist chased us down the street shouting "it's a scam! it's a scam!" One innocent hot chocolate later, we were not dead and still in full possession of our wallets and maidenhoods. Felt like finding the American and telling him to chillax, but he was probably too busy lecturing prostitutes on their base morals. Once back on track we wandered through the beautiful Old Town with its fancy European architecture and incredible churches. In one almost every surface was coated in gold; the frescoes on the walls, the ornaments, the pews.. bling does not even begin to cover it. Four tonnes of gold. We walked past the monastaries where men wandered around with their lovely rope belts and nunneries where women are cloistered and make handicrafts (why are men never cloistered?), then found an enormous gothic basilica which had just finished mass and was emptying families in their Sunday best. Religion bit over we continued on our epic walk into the new town and skyped our families, before toasting our journey with pineapple margaritas and burritos in an amazing Mexican restaurant. It was coming towards sunset so we got a taxi to the teliferiQo (cable car: Ecuador: 1, Venezuela: 0) and rode up to the top as the sun went down. You could see the whole city as it began to light up for the night, and snow-capped mountains in the distance. It was incredible. Unfortunately we were joined by two philosophical Americans on the way back down, who were having a ‘debate’ (for debate read mutual ego-massage) about religion and the meaning of life. I don’t know whether we were closer to laughter or tears. We shared a taxi to the square near our hostel and walked the two minute journey back to a well deserved lie-down. Or so we thought. As we walked under the bridge to our hostel two guys cornered us and grabbed our bags. We both started shouting indignantly and Claire’s gave up, but I ended up having a tug of war with mine and kicked him in the shin. Ha! They both backed off and we walked away. It was all over in less than thirty seconds and they obviously weren’t trying that hard. Apparently tourists are fair game in Quito, we heard about loads of unsuccessful muggings while we were there. It was a bit of a wake-up though, it was the first time anything like that has happened to us, and it was on our 100th day! When we went out that evening we didn’t carry bags and stayed in really busy areas as we were both a little shaken up. We did find an amazing maze of alleyways where restaurants and bars spilled out onto the the streets which were full of mimes, musicians and food vendors. Claire bought a stick of chocolate covered grapes and we escaped the scary mime for an early night.

The next day we got up insanely early to get to the market town of Otavalo where we haggled our hearts out and took note of everything we want to buy ten times cheaper in Bolivia (sneaky). It wasn’t like the usual market towns where the indigenous people are cynical and only dress up for tourists and had a really lovely chilled out vibe. I had fun pointing out all of the visceral butcheries to the stubbornly-vegetarian Claire, and we spent a few hours wandering around before heading back to Quito. That night was a Saturday so we headed off to a series of bars and clubs before ending up at one named KY. Nice. Danced our flip flops off til 3am then collapsed into bed. Met Sally’s friend Steph the next day and did nothing but eat, drink hair of the dog, and lie around in parks. Perfect.

It had been over a month since we’d been to a beach (such hardships!) so we bussed to Montañita, unfortunately losing my beloved sleeping mask along the way. The Pacific coast is pretty grey and miserable, but it’s much warmer and the surf was awesome. We splashed out on a $20-each hotel room (mostly because we’d walked all the way down the beach with our bags and couldn’t be arsed to turn around) but got two of the best breakfasts of all time, free films, air-conditioning and newly born kittens everywhere, so couldn’t complain. After a shared $1.50 lunch (our room called for frugality elsewhere) we rented surfboards and Claire stepped up to the challenge of teaching me how to surf. First I endured the embarrassment of ‘practicing’ on the beach, then we headed for the water and I stood up on the third go! Claire was like a proud mother hen. My later attempts were much less smooth, and a surf instructor we named Sex Pest II (Sex Pest I was taken)  spent the next half an hour ‘teaching’ me. I was too polite to say no. Claire gets annoyed because I have the customer service habit of smiling at everyone, which gets us into some sticky situations. Will have to work on my ‘go away’ face.

Achey and tired after travelling overnight and then using muscles we didn’t know existed while trying not to drown we had a nap at 6pm.. and didn’t wake up til 9am the next day. Best. Bed. Ever. We moved to a hostel in the centre of town which cost $3.50 per night (probably because it was just a shack with mattresses on the floor) and spent the day watching the world cup games and drinking sangria, then made lots of friends on the beach and had a night of pizza, awesome cocktails made on carts in the street, and dancing in an ecological finca/disco made of wood. There was fire poi, which I don’t think is the most sensible idea to perform in a wooden structure, but who am I to question Latin American safety standards?!

Yesterday we left Montañita for Cuenca, which involved more buses and epic views over the Andes. They played the usual series of gruesomely violent pirates films starring failed rappers, and we chose to look out of the window.  So we are now in the place where Panama hats come from (long story, Wikipedia it) where we will hang out with the people we met yesterday and look at lots more churches, before travelling to Peru where we can FINALLY SEE ANDREW RCHARD MICHAEL TWEDDLE! We’re both a bit excited.

About rsweet


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.