Existing Member?

Roy and Ania One year to womble about in the world

More adventures form the Cook Islands

COOK ISLANDS | Thursday, 17 December 2009 | Views [682]

We moved to the the cheaper hostel and although the price is less, we now share our living space with mice, large cockroaches and ants. The service is bad and the people who work here are grumpy and less than helpful. But the location of the hostel is amazing! It is located just by the beach where the lagoon is the widest and where there are two islands wish are beautiful to snorkel by (they say, I have not yet tried it). The beach, called Muri beach, has got a lot of activities going was well, like windsurfing, canoe hire, glass boat trips etc, and a few restaurants on the seafront. The place is small and apparently it is low season now, so the place is fairly quiet, which suite us just fine. The hostel is quite social as well, and we have met some nice people, on of them is a blond Anja from Sweden – strange...


After a few rainy days (too many if you ask me), the sun returned to us yesterday and I took a walk along the beach. To my delight I was immediately accompanied by the happy and friendly beach dogs that run around here, charming tourists and playing. It was such a delight to hang out with the dogs and being a member of their pack for about an hour. I was amazed by the fact that they where actually fishing in the shallow water, ruining around trying to spot the shawls of small fish. They made me laugh a lot.


The other night we went on a n “Island night” with a traditional cook island meal and traditional dancing. There are some pictures of the dancing in one of the photo albums. The quality of the dancing was higher than I expected and I understood that being a dancer is quite a prestige thing in this culture. The girls could wiggle their hips more than anyone I have ever seen and it was all very feminine and seductive. The guys where the warriors and where performing masculine movements of power and strength, beautiful to watch. Each dance had a theme describing some of the culture's ancient legends and myths. It was a great experience that gave us a deeper insight in the culture of the Cooks.


On my birthday, the 12th of December, we took our little scooter and went to the weekly market in town. There we saw more dancing, and Roy bought me a beautiful black pearl that will be my most valuable souvenir from this island. Before we got here I had never seen black pearls and I believe they are quite rare, but it is a part of the local industry to farm them here, so I am proud to own one. In the evening Roy took me to a posh restaurant in our little bay and we had a great dinner. It was a strange birthday, no one but Roy knew about it and there was no family and friends to celebrate with (this was before we hooked up with people in the hostel). It all felt unreal, just like the coming up of Christmas... But I can think of worse ways of to spend a birthday...


The other day a group of us from the hostel went on a cross island walk. The walk was from the north to the south of the island, thought the jungle and a very steep climb up to one of the peaks called “the needle” and then down a few hours on a path nearly as steep as on the way up. The recommendation form the hostel was to go with a guide, but the guide wanted far too much money and we where told by other hostel guests that it is absolutely possible to make it without a guide. The tricky bit was that there is no map (to keep the guide's business going) and we were told horror stories about a group of people getting lost and instead of walking for 4,5 hours, which is the estimated time for the trek, they where out in the jungle for 17 hours, missing their flight back home. Another group lost track of the signs and where following a “path” that was very rough and challenging. With these stories in mind we where determined to make some good research and talk to as many people as possible before going, so that we would have a clear idea of the tricky part and where to go from there. It seems to have done the trick because we had no trouble finding the right way and ended up by the beautiful waterfall that made up the final destination earlier than we thought we would. We even got a driver how drove us straight form the hostel to the beginning of the trek and picked us up afterwards. It was a great day and a good adventure.



On the Sunday I left Roy reading his book at the hostel in the morning and went to the weekly catholic church service. I had been told it was an experience not to be missed. And indeed it was. Although I could not understand the priest as he spoke mainly in Cook Island Maori, I very much enjoyed being with the local community observing them as they interacted with each other quietly, dressed in their Sunday best, and seeing the smaller children running back and forward between anties, grandma, grandpa, brothers, sisters and parents. It became very clear to me how thigh the community is and how they all probably are related in one way or another and how they all probably know everything there is to know about one another. For good and bad.

As we all raised to sing a psalm I was stunned by the voices and looked around in vain for the choir. But there was not choir - the strong characteristically sharp and “flat” voices came from the congregation itself. The singing was very powerful with a lot of harmonies. It gave me shivers and I felt very privileged to be witnessing it. After the service there was free lunch that was attended only by tourists.


Now there is only two days left for us on this island, so next time I will be writing form New Zealand.


Now I am off snorkelling, Roy is waiting...


love

ania


 

 

Travel Answers about Cook Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.