Existing Member?

Roy and Ania One year to womble about in the world

Ania in New Mexico

USA | Sunday, 30 August 2009 | Views [951]

Amasing view from our treck.

Amasing view from our treck.

Ania's memories from two weeks in New Mexico, USA:

I left Massachusetts and Roy in early august to go to New Mexico, and the town Santa Fe for a two week Action Theatre workshop, taught by the founder of this theatre form Ruth Zaporah. She is now 72 years old and I was so excited to be able to learn the form from her.

I have been very interested in Action Theatre for the last 5 years or so, I wrote my final essay on this subject in collage in England about a year ago. But writing about it is very different from engaging in it practically. Action theatre is an experience based practice.

The workshop was held on a ranch (farm) about 30 minutes outside of Santa Fe, located in the middle of the high desert and surrounded by hills with funny little round bushes on them, and farther away there where mountains and over it all a vast sky . The days were very hot (up to 35 degrees Celsius) and our 3 hour siesta was well needed, the only thing we could to in the heat was to take a nap or sit indoors talking. In the night the sky would be crowded with stars and the coyotes (wild dog-like animals) would howl and scream, sounding like children playing. We soon got use to them but they never stopped to amuse me.

We where warned about the rattle snakes (in Swedish: skaller ormar) and poisonous black widow spiders and that kept me from taking walks in the wild desert landscape near the ranch and it took me a few days to relax in the safe environment  of the ranch. None in the group actually saw a snake or a poisonous spider, but we did see some lizards and some other unusual large insects...  

There was 14 of us doing the workshop and apart from myself and two Swiss ladies all the participants where American. I was amazed by how the group came together quickly and how we all seem to like each other so much. It was really a blessing to be a part of this constellation of people who came from all walks of life and where there for so many different reasons.

5 hours per day we would be in the studio working with Ruth, the first 3 hours where physically active and later in the afternoon, after the siesta, we would focus on more still work, like narrative (something like story telling). Action Theatre could best be described as a training in improvisational physical theatre, focusing on developing skills appropriate both for public performances as well as for the lives we "perform" as human beings.

The exercises we would engage in would isolate particular aspects of movement and performance (time, shape, space, energy etc.) and i was fascinated how my habits of movement, behaviour and problem solving  became visible to me (quite often not so flattering).
Over the course of the two weeks we practiced exercising and opening our imagination, learn to communicate with our eyes, get used to shifts between different theatrical "worlds" so quickly that the intellect and thought could not keep up, and sense the difference between embodied creativity and imagination verses concept of ideas being "executed" by the body. For me personally the most beautiful lesson of the whole workshop was to get numerous glimpses of the embodied creativity and the way that if i really let go in letting my body have an influence in the story that was emerging, rather than only being a container for an idea that came from the head, i would be continuously surprised by the material that was formed in me, though me. In these moments i had a very clear connection to how this practice can be liked to spiritual practices like Buddhism. Through non attachment there is an opening to a realm much larger than i could ever experience otherwise.

In one of her books Ruth puts it like this: "Acting with a sense of playful exploration, students are encouraged to venture into transpersonal realms, accessing intelligence more encompassing and boundless that known in their personal experience."  

The Action Theatre practice was for me more difficult than i had anticipated. It was a great challenge for me to experience that and realise that to get anywhere within this form i would have to practice for oh, so many years. I found it quite daunting and noticed how the "quitter" in me was quietly suggesting to give it up all together. I had the opportunity to see that pattern (that keeps reoccurring) in my life, served on a silver plate, and after a few days i could also see that i have a choice whether to listen to the "quitter" and run away, or to stay with the difficulty, allow myself to be a struggling beginner and humbly learn from this situation. I chose to stay.

In summary, the two weeks where a great experience and important step on my path of exploring personal devotement and creativity and, i was also so grateful by the opportunity to be in the landscape of New Mexico, so wild, naked beautiful and direct. Embracing life and death in a way that i had never experienced before.

Next: Buenos Aires, Argentina.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.