Existing Member?

Living the journey

fire festival and alternative energy

JAPAN | Wednesday, 16 July 2008 | Views [571]

Yes, another update - going for a record!

Saturday night found me at the movies watching a chick flick (yes, I'm sorry world but it had to be done - I had been hanging out for Kungfu Panda for too long so I chose a movie that had Western actors in it hoping for English and it was in English.  It was also a chick flick 'Made of Honour'.) All in all not a bad show, predictable but the scenery was beautiful.  I want to go to Scotland!

Sunday I managed to hang out at a good friend's place for most of the day.  We walked the dog, watched a movie and chatted about both the important and mundane.  If you have any interest in sustainable energy google the following...'earthships' to do with making houses out of recycled material - similar to rammed earth houses and 'solar towers alternative energy' which just happens to be an Australian initiative that I hope will get off the ground.  They built one in Spain that works a treat and highly economical so maybe!  Sunday arvo was beach bumming time and I went to Wakaura.  There is this awesome little restaurant that is on the alternative side.  Talk about delicious guacamole and chai tea.  Definately becoming a regular!  The water was beautiful and warm and the beach was in the shade (due to it being afternoon) so plenty of fun and relaxation had.

Yesterday found me getting up at a rediculous hour of 5.15 am to head to Nachi Falls (the highest waterfall in Japan).  A group of us went on a bus tour to Nachi falls for the fire festival. The trip there was very scenic and the falls beautiful.  The fire festival is apparently related to rice growing.  How running around with fire on your shoulder (hard to describe but basically lots of thin strips of wood bundled up into a 50 cm diameter bundle attached to a handle that is set alight) is related to growing rice I'm not sure but would really like to find out. 

While waiting for the fire to appear I started talking to a random foreigner and it turns out he might be staying at my friends house while travelling around Japan - couch surfing is an awesome thing!  Talk about random and aint the world small!  Anyway, after viewing the people in white costumes running up and down the stairs with the fire (along with many, many, many other people) it was time to head back to the bus.  After checking my watch I decided to explore further...and found the buddhist temples.  WOW!  I really wish I had had more time to explore.  Since missing the bus was not an option I took as many photos as I could, vowing to return.  Note to those thinking of seeing the fire festival.  Give yourself the day.  They have other displays as well - the running up and down the stairs with the fire is not the only part to it!

The trip home meant that they will find an indent in the glass of the window where my nose was pushed up against it taking in the views.  If you know what the area just north of Sydney on the way to Gosford looks like and Wilson's prom mix those together and you will get the picture.  We travelled back along the coast which was spectacular and I definately have to go back and take more time to see it.  Let's just say a train trip is being planned to celebrate my 30th birthday!  (I have to do something memorable!)

As you no doubt have figured out - another successful weekend in Roxy's life!  Take care everyone and will see/speak/communicate in someway soon.

 

 

Travel Answers about Japan

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.