Existing Member?

Love Cocoon

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [112] | Scholarship Entry

Adrenaline surges through my veins. The crimson sun sinks through the smog over Cochabamba, Bolivia. Daylight is disappearing and time evaporates with it. I am trapped in a city; a nightmare for a camping biker. The single light of my battered enduro motorbike illuminates the way. I test my luck and take a dirt road hugging a small, polluted creek. I feel like I’m playing a game of space invaders as huge potholes attack me head on!

The road ends and I’m greeted by dormant rice fields and a rustic dwelling. A plump lady plays with a young boy with dirt as clothing. Her skin is light brown, cheeks rosy red and full. She wears her black bowler hat with pride on her long, dark, double-braided hair. Her simple dress and leggings accentuate the intense, rainbow, alpaca sweater. “Hola señorita, como estas? Se puede acampar aqui por un noche por favor?”
“AY!” she yells, sending my smile scampering. She shakes her hand and starts moving toward me. Fast. And then past me. I turn around to see a stocky goat munching on my saddlebags. The goat sensing the oncoming Bolivian butt kicking hurdles off to his amused mate. I can camp.

I setup camp and prepare to fix a tasty road stew. “No, no” a voice behind me says, handing me a plate of steak, rice and fried potato, with fresh homemade juice. I’m humbled. After a long day of rough riding and frustrating failures, I was taken in by the lady as one of her own. The warmth of a mother’s love is unrivaled and made my heart explode with joy. “Muchas gracias señorita”. I offer her some money for the food, but she won’t take it. I give her an Australian ten cent coin and a picture of my bike and I, with a thank you message in Spanish. She beams and we embrace, kissing each others' cheeks.

She touched my heart. I missed the comfort a loved one provides in a time of need. Somehow, thousands of kilometres away from my own mother, this magical lady cocooned me in her love. I feel fresh. Free. I’ve been recharged. I’m ready to emerge.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About rossyviajero


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.