Existing Member?

Our travel tales

Hong Kong

HONG KONG | Monday, 20 October 2008 | Views [167]

Flew from Chengdu to Shenzen and got the bus into Hong Kong. Couldn't believe how much it was like England. The Queen's head is still on some coins, made us a bit home sick haha.

Stayed on Nathan Road in Chunking Mansions, definately wasn't a mansion. I thought it was raining until I looked up and realised all the air con units were dripping on me. We were staying on the top floor in the smallest room we've seen. The shower in the bathroom was over the toilet and the sink almost touched your chest as you sat on the loo. You could have a shit, shower and shave at the same time! Rossy was ready in about a minute!

Did the usual sites again-Star Ferry over to Hong Kong central then got the tram up to Victoria Peak. What an amazing view. We found a Forrest Gump restaurant at the top of the peak so stopped off for lunch. Had mashed potato for the first time since leaving England yum!

Stopped off for a beer on HK island, Ross got talking to a bloke from Boro typical!

Had possibly the most expensive pints of Guiness, it cost us over a tenner for 2 pints. Turned out to be our tea after the sweet and sour pork we'd ordered was like dog food.

We decided to book flights to Vietnam to save some time but totally messed up with our visa dates. Got to the airport on the day we were meant to fly only to realise our visa didn't start until the following day, so we couldn't get into Vietnam. The next flight to Vietnam wasn't available until 4 days later. So we thought sod it and booked ourselves into a nice hotel on HK island for a few nights. It was bliss having our own bathroom, hot water and not having to wear flip flops in the shower.

 

About ross_vic


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Hong Kong

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.