Existing Member?

You gotta go there to come back

We jump at dawn!

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 5 February 2010 | Views [380]

I experienced a very strange sensation when I was flying into Perth, just about a month ago, we were due to land around 6am local time and as flying safety guidlines demand, all window shutters to the plane were fully open. There was a very strong tail wind, and as such the engines were not needed so much - so much so in fact it seemed the engines were off - it was dead quiet on the plane, we seemed to be gliding into Perth. A bright sun, just peeping over the horizon, filled the plane with a reddy-gold light and probably due to the fact everyone on the plane was knackard, there wasn't a word being said. There was a strange sense of euphoria on the plane as it remained calm and silent, despite very strong turbulence and - although I had never done any parachute training in the army - it seemed any minute a demented Colour sergeant would shout out "4 minutes" and we would all then start to line up at the escape hatch to jump to the landing zone. A very strange feeling to experience, I promise you, but also a weirdly serene and calming one.

Well on that bombshell, may I welcome you to my travel blog. As I have said I have been in Australia, Western Australia to be exact since January 12, 2010. After stopping off in Singapore en'route I started the first part of my working holiday to the antipodes. It will be my 30th bithday later this year and as such the last time I would be eleigible for the working holiday visa in both Australia and New Zealand  - my next stop(a year in each). I gave up a lot, perhaps a bit too much, to come out here and do this but hey, this is something I have wanted to do for years and you only live once, life's too short, etc, etc, etc. I'm not much of a writer, had a B in English GCSE, but if you want to read I will continue to write. I also try to note bits of my travels on my facebook page and document the places I go visually with photos on my Flickr site. I'm not looking for any acclaim just documenting my thoughts for me to laugh at when I'm old enough to say "in my day, we had to walk to school".

Tags: antipodes, perth, singapore airlines

 

About roscoejenkins


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.