Existing Member?

Dwellers of Madagascar

Dancing with the sifakas

MADAGASCAR | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [50] | Scholarship Entry

It was beauty in its purest form. I just happened to be there, for I left the group seeking a shady place to sit and relax in the sizzling Isalo massif.
I first realised that something was spying on me from the trees when the branches moved energetically as if someone was trying to talk to me. But at the very moment I focused my eyes on that direction, it occurred: the Verreaux's sifaka crossed right in front of me, performing its magical dance by hopping laterally on its two feet. I could not believe my eyes, we had spent the whole morning looking unsuccessfully for this species and now it just showed up when I had stooped searching. The lemur kept moving forward as I was fascinated by the rhythmic pace of its tiny body, directed by two light legs. Even its hands, slightly risen up over its shoulder, would combine harmoniously with its dancing. Two little sparkling spheres stood out among the black face and I could distinguish a prominent snout. He glanced at me, clearly surprised to find me there, but continued its way.

I was so abducted because of this vision that I did not realise that the whole family was approaching, jumping both feet together and joining the dance floor that the ground had become. I counted five of them, maybe the female and youngs, passing majestically by me. I could even catch a glimpse of pride in their visages, as if they were guided by some celestial music not suitable for my ears. The long white tails swung as the sifakas leaped towards the trees.

The forest was now like a nineteenth century saloon and the sifakas, dressed up with tidy white costumes, played the role of the professional dancers. It was one of the best performances I have ever been to, where the artists act for their pleasure and not for the public, yet there I was feeling really lucky to witness it. But the show just lasted a few minutes, as quick as they came, they vanished climbing up the trees; all they left was the leaves still shaking and a bizarre feeling on me not knowing if it had been real.

I realised then that I had been gone for a long time and decided to go back to the group. On the way back, feeling still astonished for the mystical encounter, I found myself walking rhythmically, as though I was following some hidden melody in the forest.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About rosas


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Madagascar

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.