Existing Member?

In the shadows of the Roman Empire

Spring fling - short and sweet

ITALY | Wednesday, 14 May 2014 | Views [301] | Scholarship Entry

The first time I went to Italy, I was overwhelmed when I heard an announcement yammering in this mysterious language. I should've learned a bit more than "pomodoro" and "arriverderci". In fact, this did not matter too much. The Italians who couldn't speak English, French or German, patiently continued explaining to me in Italian. Some Italians even stopped to ask me if they could help when they saw me staring at my map.

This was a touch-and-go 1 week trip from Milan to Venice to Florence to Rome. I prefer spending some time, soaking up my surroundings, talking to locals and sitting next to a fountain writing stories. I did all of this - just in fast-forward.

It was surprising how many tourists were already in Italy. It was just the start of spring! We had sunny days as well as rain and thunder.

When we arrived in Florence, it was raining cats and dogs. The only people on the streets were hawkers selling umbrellas. We rushed to Galleria dell'Accademia to see Michelangelo's famous David sculpture, as well as other famous artwork. The queue stretched 4 blocks away! It is better to book online and avoid the queues.

Disheartened we went back to the hostel, Florence Plus, which wasn't too bad. There was a sauna, a swimming pool and Turkish baths. What I love about hostels is that you meet people from all over the world.

I arranged a horseback riding tour for the next day. Alas, the rain has not abated! Fortunately for me, there were people just as crazy who said that they don't mind the rain. We were drenched from head to toe, but we still enjoyed the endless vineyards, rolling hills and small countryside houses with our well-behaved horses, despite the rain.

Afterwards, we were able to heat up with a winetasting presented by an entertaining Italian who taught us how to hold a wineglass. We also enjoyed a Tuscan lunch with truffle olive oil and the most delicious Balsamic vinegar.

Then we went to visit the small town, San Gimignano, a fortress that the Romans built to be able to spot the enemy from far away. Today we have the eye candy advantages of what they built to protect themselves.

I also had the privilege to walk the paths of Rome that remind me of emperors, gladiators and horse carriage races of centuries ago.

I made many new friends in such a short time. It reminded me of the 'quality is better than quantity' concept, but this little trip was just an appetite awakener. The Italian culture has so much more to offer and I am dying to discover it.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About rooibos


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.