Existing Member?

Sabang, because Indonesia has another Bali.

Discover the new Bali

INDONESIA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [125] | Scholarship Entry

It's been two hours since the sound of ferry engine was echoed underneath the sea. This ship is crowded, possibly overweight, but this is the risk of using old ferry with hundred people else. With my backpack, less money, and suggestion from my mate, I took my holiday to Sabang, a tiny island at the westernmost Indonesia. My journey begin from Banda Aceh, the capital city of Aceh which became the one of the victim of earthquake and tsunami 9 years ago.
From a distance, Balohan harbour, the only harbour in Sabang, looks like a thin line off the shore. Now after the tsunami, inhabitants seems to clean up the mess to maintain economic and tourism growth. Honestly, I don't have any plan until I step my foot in Sabang. This tiny island looks bigger compared to any maps I've been referred to. Then I simply do the trick, to act locally. I ask the people, if they are becoming new tourist, which place do they want to go the most in Sabang.
And the only answer is Iboih beach. I'm so curious I just get in to public transportation and ask the driver to take me there. It takes about 45 minutes from Balohan harbour to Iboih beach, but that trip it's worth. It is absolutely true what the people told me, Iboih is just like an untouchable diamond. I get off from the car breathlessly, now in front of me lies white sand with vast stretches of ocean blue. The more I get close, the more it's flawless, especially when the fisherman told me that there's a Rubiah island, which could be taken by boat for 10 minutes. Surely when I get there, Rubiah island is surrounded by hundreds of coral reefs and thousands of gorgeous fish underneath the sea.
With the help of fisherman, I am officially able to visit Rubiah island and immediately take my chance diving. They're obviously tell no lies, the underwater world is more beautiful than what it is on the surface. There's no human intervention from the people, especially when I get closer to the thousand fearless fish.
Sabang is truly a undiscovered paradise, and with this remarkable few days of my trip, I believe Sabang will be the next Bali in Indonesia.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About ronyfhebrian


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.