Existing Member?

Ronnie's Random Scribbles

A Waterfall Epiphany

NIGERIA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [113] | Scholarship Entry

“The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes” – Marcel Proust.

I had never before seen anything so beautiful and it amazed me that there were still five more to go. I had already climbed nearly one thousand steps to the first level, and hiked a rather rocky path to the second, yet I was still charged and ready to go to the third, before I let my fear get the better of me and I stopped.
Still, watching the water gush down the second level of the Erin Ijesha Waterfalls, I couldn’t help but feel proud that I had at least gotten this far.

I had started the climb to the first level eagerly, but reduced my pace as the path became steep and winding. The higher I climbed, the louder I could hear the sound of the gushing water and the wider my heart grew with expectation.
When I finally reached the first level, I knew I could not stop with everyone else. I had to see more. I located the path to the second level, and as there were no more steps, picked my way through the rocks, climbing the steep path upwards.

At some point, I looked down and wished I did not. Climbing up was one thing, climbing down was definitely easier, but climbing up a steep path with slippery rocks wet with dew in your way was something else entirely.

But I grabbed the rocks and lifted my body over them, gripping tree trunks and branches for support. I felt like an explorer at this point: So high up on the hill, the sound of rushing water and birds chirping to one another filling my ear. I can live on this moment, I remember thinking. If this is all I have for adventure and travel, I know I can be okay.

I get to the second layer and as I predicted, it is even more magnificent than the first. I walked closer to the falling water; mesmerized.
I turn to look for the path to the next layer, even more determined to reach the top. But as much as I want to taste all the flavours of adventure, I am slightly afraid of going it alone.

As I gaze out over the edge of the second level, all I see is vast acres of sheer natural beauty: Fresh green grass, leaves and foliage; Brown earth so dark and earthen you can taste the smell; Brightly coloured flowers each emitting their own sweet nectar and calling all flying and buzzing, crawling and walking creatures to its beauty.

I do not reach the top of the waterfall, but that day, I reached something even more important; the beginning of my lifelong voyage of discovery into a world I am eager to come to know.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About ronnieotega


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nigeria

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.