Existing Member?

Through African Eyes

1000 miles across to Namibia

NAMIBIA | Friday, 1 May 2015 | Views [130] | Scholarship Entry

It's a warm summer Christmas eve in South Africa. I’m still slightly jet lagged, as I just arrived from Korea the day before Christmas. My family and I are packing our very last few things for our 3 day road trip to Swakopmund, Namibia. It's vital to make sure everything is in order from passports, paperwork for the car, insurance and the list goes on. It would be the first time that we're going on a road trip this long and this far away from home, especially as a family.
It's a trip that I've always wanted to do. Namibia seems like a fascinating place.

Our trip would consisted of 3 full days of driving. First we drove from Pretoria to Kang, Botswana where we slept over. After that, we were on the road to Windhoek, the capital of Namibia, where we be stayed at my uncle's house, and then the final stretch to Swakopmund, the Namibian Oasis.

Swakopmund is a fascinating city. It’s got a vibrant holiday atmosphere, friendly people and lots of tourists. It’s almost purely German Architecture and German is still widely spoken and even used commercially in this town. I even picked up a few German words, despite that I’m slow at learning languages - thankfully most Namibians speak English either as a second or third language so I could get by very easily, especially compared to Korea.

That is the absolute beauty of travelling. All the experiences that come together. It’s not always about finding that “one-treasure”, but the whole adventure of meeting people, bonding with family, and learning new things about different cultures and their history and then relating to it based on previous personal experiences and your knowledge. That is like finding the ultimate treasure for the soul. That is what I call Travel Treasure.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About ronaldl93


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Namibia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.