Existing Member?

LALALAND

Parisian Apartment

FRANCE | Wednesday, 29 September 2010 | Views [374]

Spiral Staircase from the 6th floor

Spiral Staircase from the 6th floor

We rented a Parisian studio apartment for a week (total cost =E616 =414 +202 Insurance & agency fee).  The studio is 28sqm, bed...lounge...washing machine...kitchennette all in 1 room and a separate bathroom.  We're on the top floor so there are numerous windows and french balconies (with lots of natural light) and views of rooftops and smoke stacks (not  quite the Eiffel Tower) but it was the best value we could find at the time.  Most of our initial choices were taken (due to the French fashion week) and the others were ridiculously expensive.

Being on the 6th floor with no lifts was initially a challenge especially when I had to go around the red spiral staircase with my 25kg backpack and day pack.  I thought I was going to have a heart attack!  Don't worry I packed lightly, 12kg and the rest were presents for James' friends that he asked to me to bring with me from OZ.  As the week wore on, I got used to the staircase...all I can say is I have buns and legs of steel now!

James friends' think that the area (17 Rue de Fabourg, Saint Denis 10th arrondisement) is dodgy but I actually don't mind it.  It certainly isn't touristy but when I wake up in the morning and open the window....I inhale the smell of freshly baked bread.  After unlocking the fort knox multiple steel locks of our studio, down the fire engine red staircases, through the steel solid door and gate of the building....there I join the many Jacques and Jacquelines of Paris.  I live like a Parisian..going to the boulangerie to get my baguette (with Jambon/ham et fromage/cheese)/croissant & eclair...to fruit shops (with the juiciest fruits and fresh vegetables)...to the supermarche and they don't cost you an arm and a leg.  Locals actually go to the same stores we go to, easy walking distance from our studio.  My street is so lively, full of cafes, Indian/Turk/Moroccan/French restaurants, laverie or laundry (most Parisians don't have their own washing machine/dryer), grocers, fromagerie, boulangerie (bakery/pattisserie), chacuterie...everything we need...all in our doorstep.

Typical menu: 

- brekkie-cereal or croissant Euro0.80, tea (provided by studio owner)

- lunch - salmon baguette E3.80  and chocolate au pain 1.40  (A$1.00 = Euro 0.70)

- dinner out or spaghetti bolognaise at the studio (E4.00 per person)

I must say the French DON'T know how to make a cappuccino and to make things worse, it cost E4.40 (A$6.30 per cup)!  I haven't had any since then.  Those who know me well will know that I'm currently going through withdrawal symptoms (from lack of caffeine).  This dilemma has now been replaced by inhaling vin rouge.  I do adapt quickly!

Anyway back to the studio....it's very well located..close to the Metro (Strasbourg Saint Dennis) but we actually just walk to all the Parisian sites.  It takes about 20 minutes walk to go to the city centre (Notre Dame)....so it's not too bad.  Mind you, the Lonely Planet advises not to take the Saint Denis Metro at night...so we don't ...just to be on the safe side.  Overall though, the studio and the area have been very charming so far. 

 
 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.