Existing Member?

Spanish Adventure

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 27 March 2011 | Views [139] | Scholarship Entry

After High-School, began the part of my life that you could call “my life on the road”. For a while I tried to find out who I was with a series of activities that I will call a waste of time, until the day I decided to travel overseas on my own. We, as part of the human race have always had that tickle in the back of our minds, like a little ant searching for a nibble, we search for the meaning of our lives. I was in need for something different, in order to understand this hunger for the strange and unknown I decided it was a good idea to buy the first ticket to nowhere I could find, and with two days to vaguely prepare the trip, in the blink of an eye I was inside an airplane and without even noticing it I was standing on unknown land. Madrid received me with a smile, with the horizon that looked like it was painted on the window I returned the smile that was more a scared smirk and made my way into the subway. Everything happened. Every detail hits you like little pebbles falling from the sky instead of raindrops and in a matter of seconds you find yourself soaked with a new culture, a new way to see life. Overwhelming. I was surrounded by people and felt so incredibly alone, everything I knew was nowhere to be seen, new faces, new trees and fountains, new buildings and paintings, I realized everything I thought I knew was not here anymore, and now my duty was to adapt, get all doubts out of my head and just live. Finding a cheap hostel was easy, because Madrid is a very backpacker friendly city, so with that out of my mind I made my way downtown eager to discover all the treasures the city was hiding for the common eye. The first couple of days were perfect; every little piece was falling into place making my stay there a beautiful memory, a waking dream. Then you start meeting people and realize that the hunger for the unknown you were feeling was shared by all these strangers just looking for an adventure. I went to Barcelona hoping there were some waves to catch but when I got a glance of Gaudi’s architecture I had to leave surfing for later and decided to go rent a bike to learn some more about this character, and with that in mind I stumbled into some flamenco players, some real gypsy people and a ride to “Gijon”. I lasted three months traveling through Europe, and it was an amazing trip, it taught me to adapt, to open my mind to new realities, to cherish every long long sky I see, and most importantly that I don’t need to travel very far to find myself, that I will still be me in every part of the earth, but traveling will always help me grow.

Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

About rodrigodiaz


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.