Existing Member?

Rob at World Nomads The journal of a World Nomads employee.

Sleeping in Airports

WORLDWIDE | Friday, 30 June 2006 | Views [736]

When you live the travelling lifestyle, there will almost certainly come a time when you will either have to sleep at an airport or it will simply happen without you thinking about it due to your own exhaustion.

I like to call this "airosomnia" and it happens to the best of us.

The thing us airosomniacs come to realise is that not all airports are equal when it comes to bunking down. In fact there is a huge disparity in the quality your foreign cousins will instill in their airport slumber facilities. There will also be a huge range of experiences in each airport quite seperate from the actual physical facilities.

For examle, that hairy, smelly arrogant piece of s*%t carabiniero at Fiumicino Airport in Rome who thinks it's fun to prod sleeping travelers with his night-stick, enforcing some non-existent "No Sleeping in the Airport" policy (apparently sitting there awake, looking like a very tired vagrant is perfectly acceptable). Or the "lounge Nazi" at Kuala Lumpur who, after you attempt to even sit on the comfortable lounges, will tell you that they are reserved for "patrons of his restaurant" and that you will have to move along despite the entire place being totally empty.

As for actual facilities, there are a couple worthy of mention. Seoul international airport has marble floors (the only place to stretch out) that may in fact have a direct temperature transfer with Antarctica. Brrrrr! In Hong Kong, you can actually stretch out on the chairs because they haven't put armrests on them to block you, but the chairs are made of solid metal so they are both hard and uncomfortable. Fiumicino doesn't have armrests, but each chair in the row will have a "cupped" seat so it is like sleeping on railway tracks.

Perhaps the best place to sleep is actually Kuala Lumpur (after you have been kicked out of the lounge area) because they have a very nice hotel facility that you can hire in three hour blocks. You don't even have to go out through customs to access it so it's quite handy.

Of course, if you need information on your next airosomnia attack location then there's a great site called Sleeping in Airports that's worth checking out.

Tags: Airports

About rob_wood


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.