Existing Member?

WorldChildExperiences

The Car Thing

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 22 December 2007 | Views [235]

Ok, so Im living out of my car. Its great....and entirely impractical. With the boot full of my life and the back seat overflowing with scarfs, jeans, T-Shirts, jumpers on top of socks, bras and undies (cleverly hidden so passers-by dont enjoy looking in too much) sneakers, books, all those little bits of paper we somehow manage to collect,and a half-attempted section for the washing, I 'go where I want, do what I want'.  Unfortunately at the moment Im without want or to-do! So more often than not I find myself being very busy and important spending hours infront of the computer in my mothers little one-roomed beach-hut-esque granny flat in Randwick, Sydney writing emails and 'travel' diaries and generally feeding the inertia of my life.

I read snippets yesterday from Bearing Witness - autobiographical journies of war correspondants and photo-journalists - and one of them said something that really struck me. He said  "Fear is a paralysing drug". I dont think I've ever more consciously experienced that in life than now. I'm not talking about a fear of the open road, or skydiving or living minimalistically (Thats what I actually do love about the car thing. Like I realised all I REALLY need is enough money for food and petrol!). It's the he fear of truly flourishing as a human being, of claiming and honouring myself and all I have to contribute to life. It's a fear of true and total self-acceptance. So it's a yay for self realisation and a where-the-hell-too-from-here for shifting the fear and making that gorgeous state of openness lightness and flow, that feeling of truly being connected with oneself that we experience on the open-road/muddy forest trail/steep rocky desert mountain climb a natural part of daily existance.

Well there you go. Again another pensive overly self indulgent dive into my personal philosophies and meta-physical beliefs about life, but then, travel can do that to you. Happy Journies!

Tags: On the Road

About roamingstar


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.