Existing Member?

Thailand

Day 1

THAILAND | Tuesday, 3 April 2007 | Views [507]

Thailand – Day 1

So, I have arrived in one piece after sleeping all the way on the plane.  When I checked in at Tullamarine, I asked for the aisle seat in the last row because they always fill the plane front first and sometimes you get lucky with no one sitting next to you.  Everytime I’ve flown overseas I’ve done this and everytime, except once, I’ve been able to stretch out on the next seat.  But last night I really got lucky.  The whole row was vacant except for me so I grabbed 3 pillows and 2 blankets, lifted the arm rests, lay down and went to sleep 20 minutes after takeoff, to be woken up when breakfast was being served an hour out of Bangkok at 5am.  I was so tired last night I nearly fell asleep before the plane got off the ground but I had to stay awake to feel the rush of hurtling down the runway, engines roaring!!!!  What a buzz!!!!!  I love it.  I had the biggest, stupidest smile on my face when it was taking off.  I look forward to that the most when I go away.

Arrived at Bangkok and was literally knocked over by the humidity.  I contemplated getting an air conditioned taxi but I thought it would be more challenging to get the train, plus the taxi was 650 baht and the train was 10 baht.  No contest.  Found the train station and the platform - that was easy.  Waiting for the train, I was dying for a ciggie even in this humidity.  I looked around at the other people waiting for the train - no-one smoking except for a scary looking guy in some sort of uniform. So I didn't have one, thought there may be a reason why no-one was smoking.  Got on the train and had to stand for the hour trip into town.  I was so bloody hot that my hair was dripping wet!!  Thankfully all the windows were open so I got some breeze.

Got to the main train station and found a taxi rank.  When I got in, I told the driver where I wanted to go, but he didn't seem to know what I was talking about so I showed him on a map.  He mumbled something and I just said yeah, ok.  So off we went.  Driving around little streets, dodging the trillions of motorbikes and pedestrians, I had no idea where I was.  I was feeling slightly anxious after about 20 minutes when we went over the train line which I had just got off (I recognised a big shop on the corner) - but it was the opposite direction to where I thought we were supposed to be going.  I thought to myself - he's just taken me around the block, a big, big block.  Then I thought "oh no - I’m lost in a city I’ve never been to, don't know the language, don't know anyone and I’ve no idea where the hell I am or how to get to where I want to be!".  I really started panicking so I asked him if he was taking me where I asked originally then showed him on the map again just to make sure.  He said something that I took to mean yes, so I sat back, tried to relax and enjoy the adventure.  Ha!

Then we passed the Democracy Monument which I recognised from the map, quickly checked on the map its location in relation to where I wanted to go and was so, so relieved to see we were going in the right direction.  Ten minutes later he dropped me off in Khao San Road.  I found the guesthouse I’d booked from the internet and had been recommended in Lonely Planet.  I was so hot I thought a puddle was developing around my ankles as I was checking in.  By the way, this place is completely different to how it was described in the guide book and from the photos from their website.  I got my key and was shown up 3 flights of stairs which is lovely when its 35 degrees and you're lugging a backpack and daypack but I was thinking about the shower I was going to have soon.

My room - what can I say.  Basically it’s about the size of my car!  But it does have air conditioning which is good because that may help get rid of the stale smoky smell.  You know how a fireplace smells the day after you've used it?  That’s my room.  I’ll have to move my bed against the door because I don't trust the lock.  It’s one of those door handle locks where you push the button in on the door handle.  I can't be bothered looking around for somewhere else - this place is cheap and I’m here already and anyway, I didn't come here to stay in luxury.  I was and still am prepared to do things I haven't done before which is what I wanted all along - a bit of adventure, a challenge and to be somewhere that is completely different to how I live back home.

I now want to get something to eat and drink before I fall off my perch.  But before I do, I’m going to check out some of these little shops in this road.  When I was looking for this place before, I went passed so many things I’d love to buy.  I have to remind myself I have limited space in my pack but maybe I’d buy just one thing!

So, I’m now going to explore and push myself to get out amongst it, the unknown and unfamiliar!  It is a pretty scary thing to do when you think about it but that's why I do it.  The thrill and anxiety combine to give the biggest rush!!  Gotta go now, Bangkok is waiting for me!

Tags: On the Road

About rnjd


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.