Existing Member?

Ecuador

19 de mayo

ECUADOR | Thursday, 20 May 2010 | Views [243]

19 de mayo del 2010

This morning I met with Monica Salvatierra for my “orientation,” which is funny since I’ve already been here five days.  This was the first time I had navigated the city by bus by myself, but since all the volunteers in the house have different projects and schedules, this is what is necessary. It was successful!  I realize I’ve talked quite a bit about how cramped the buses are, but let me explain the system a little bit. 

Everyone uses the bus system- everyone. It’s not like in the States where you have bus stops. There are no bus stops. You wave down the bus like a taxi. Then, usually while the bus is still slowly moving, you jump on and hang on to the hand rails or the bus attendant. When you see your landmark of where to get off, you get up and run to the front of the bus as the indication that you want to get off. Sometimes you’ll get a complete stop if there are lots of people who also want to get off at the same time. You give your 25 cents to the bus attendant as you jump off. Sometimes the bus experience can be fun because you feel like you’re swinging on a set of monkey bars when you first get on the bus, going from one over-head handle to the next. You could also think of it as surfing if there aren’t any open handles. Today I rode the bus 8 times, 4 by myself. So I feel a wee bit accomplished : )

 

We all headed out to do a market program. This time, the tent was set up on a concrete lot in a quiet park. The participants were the children of street venders. I was only there for the hygiene portion. Then, Danny sent Rebecca (Denmark), Eric (year-long traveler), and I with Patti on another project. Our mission was to research other market areas of the city to expand the program to reach more children.  We were to observe the area, talk with the parents, play with the kids, and basically work on early recruitment. The bus ride to get there was very long and consumed a good portion of the time we had in the morning. But when we arrived, there were not many venders.  It turns out that the bustling market time is on Sunday, the one day of the week UBECI usually does not work. But we spoke with the wife of the “market president” who said there are usually about 40 kids present on Sundays. So I’m not sure what UBECI has in mind for the future, but a schedule change would certainly be worth it. There is also a new market area under construction, simply called Mercado Quitumbre.

On the way back, Rebecca and I (we are now simply called “the Rebeccas” for ease) got to know one another. Rebecca is about 31 years old, but looks much younger. She has a 2-year-old daughter named Layla whom she misses terribly. She was very honest about never having intentions to marry the father of the baby and how this is very common in England, and even more common in Denmark. I asked her about this new trend after she shared that Layla’s father is expecting another child soon with his new girlfriend. She said usually only people who wish to be classic and romantic marry these days. Rebecca said that it would have been perfectly acceptable for her to have an abortion but she doesn’t have it in her to do that. She’s very much pro-life.

I’m on this trip to serve, but also very much to learn. This conversation with Rebecca was a reminder of how easy it is to judge someone by past actions, or even present actions. But you’ll never build a relationship if you refuse to see past your differences in life styles. We’re not called to judge, but to love. Rebecca and I made some mini travel plans for the weekend. Hopefully it will work out and we’ll get to know one another even better. The two others I mentioned possibly traveling with yesterday lost their passports, so....that’s a no.

 

I went home for lunch and got to see Erica on her break from work and Aisha when she returned home from school. Then, quickly off to the UBECI office again...another successful solo bus ride.

Patti took three volunteers and I to another region of the city to do more “recruitment.” The other three were all from Quebec, so spoke in French to one another most of the time. I approached Patti and said in Spanish, “I don’t understand them either.” She laughed and I think she felt a little less overtaken in her own country. We chit-chatted in the back of the bus in Spanish, not French : )

This was my favorite part of the day, but also the saddest. When we saw a child with his/her mother selling things on the street, we would stop and Patti first explained a little about UBECI. Then, one of us would stay behind with the child and mother to play and let them familiarize themselves with us, as the others moved on to find other children. I was first to get dropped off. I played with a little girl who was only a year- and- a-half old and a little boy named Esteban who was three-and-a-half years old. I talked a little bit with the (I think) grandmother of one of the children to assure her the good intentions of UBECI and the safety of the children during the program. It’s much different to talk to a family that knows little about the organization. Most of the mothers at the other markets welcome UBECI and are grateful for its benefits. But, as any well-suited mother would be, there is some initial skepticism at the other places.

We played with a play clock with a clown painted on it in lots of colors. Iget (another volunteer) played with two older girls who go to school and return to the street venders afterwards. They completed a puzzle (una rompecabeza, literally “break head”). Marie and Alex colored with a brother-sister pair. Their story broke my heart. The volunteers asked her if she would like to play for a half-day when UBECI comes. She said she couldn’t because she had to work so her mom and dad would not be poor. She probably wasn’t any more than 10 years old; her brother was even younger. They work alone while their mother and father work other jobs in the city. They live far away from this street vender area. She said she liked her work, but it’s sad. She has been robbed of her childhood.

Everyone received candy and stickers when they were done (including us). We told the families to expect us at the same time next week. I have Spanish lessons then, but hope to re-visit those with whom I started a relationship the following week.

Later, we visited a Christian soup kitchen that serves the street children. It was very encouraging to see other organizations looking at for the kids.

The early evening was spent on Skype. I was in a small, Internet station that was silent with the exception of me speaking to my family. Never before have I been the one to use an alternate language for a private conversation...until now ; ) Afterwards, I walked home to have dinner. Another hospitality note: Rosa never lets you eat alone. If another volunteer or family member is present at the table, that fine. But otherwise, she sits, talks, or just watches you as you eat even though she has already had her meal. I’ll be honest that this is something I sometimes have to get over back home- people watching you eat, even when you’re at home. But when Rosa does it, she is so “grandmotheresque.”

While the others went out to a club, Rosa and I sat to watch a colonial, primetime soap opera. Then, she pulled out the family album and showed me pictures all the way back from when she was 16 years old. She showed me her whole family, where she has lived and visited, her four children’s lives (baptisms, first communions, graduations), and finally her granddaughter.

Before I forget yet again, a shout-out to Jenni (Miss communication disorder specialist)on something I observed from even my first day here. Never have I appreciated the value of communication so much before. It’s never been an issue for me. But even the simplest thing, like a language can create barriers or bridges among people. Communication is the key to mutual human understanding, and therefore compassion. I can appreciate speech pathologists, translators, etc. so much more thanks to this trip. It doesn’t even have to be speaking. Gestures, eye contact, the touch of a hand are all forms of communication that transmit love and compassion. *Fun fact: I JUST received Jenni’s texts she tried sending about 5 hours ago (I can receive, just not respond). Awesome timing!*

Another thing I keep forgetting to mention are the dogs. There are dogs everywhere, all over the streets. All kinds of dogs: big, small, cute, ugly, etc. They rule the streets and are allowed to do so; not like they worship them or something though. Today I saw a medium-sized dog stop in literally the middle of the road to do his business. ( I’m assuming it was a “he”, because eww.) One car had to stop to wait for him to finish up to continue driving. I hear dogs barking or fighting most nights all throughout the night. Although right now it seems quiet.

Finally, because I can’t let dogs be the end of today’s entry, my morning and evening Bible readings have each been so appropriate to the trials and joys of each day. My journaling time has been more fulfilling as well. God is really pointing out the things I need for peace while here. He’s offering me greater understanding and a safe haven in Him always. With THAT, good night.

About rkbarry


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Ecuador

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.