Existing Member?

There are NO resources

Atarraya (Fish Net)

PUERTO RICO | Wednesday, 5 August 2015 | Views [276] | Comments [1] | Scholarship Entry

When I was 8 years old, my parents gifted me a High-8 camera. The curiosity towards my surroundings sparked by seeing everything through my camera's viewfinder. As I grew old, society's pressures and social standards drove me away from filmmaking and into architecture. As the years went by, I got more unhappy with my studies, until I decided to leave everything behind and join The School of Fine Arts of Puerto Rico. This sudden move gave me a whole new air and opened my mind to the world of art, where I finally reconnected with my film roots. I had a wonderful teacher who pushed me even further to find my voice and to express myself in an audio/visual way.

In Puerto Rico I had the beautiful opportunity to work in two documentaries about cultural traits of my country. My last film, Atarraya, treated a more fragile problem about my country's political status and resources. This gave me a whole new insight about the power of communication and what a film project can achieve, but at the same time educate about a situation that's forgotten. The opportunity given by this scholarship is, for me, once in a lifetime. Being given the experience to film and inmortalize the lives of a remote community in Colombia, is not only beautiful and inspirational, but also nearly impossible to achieve if not by your program. To be part of their customs, slowly gain their trust and capture what they are, can only be described through the eyes and ears of a documentary project.

Tags: 2015 Film Scholarship to Colombia

Comments

1

https://vimeo.com/130678186

To watch the film password: nofishes

  rjsantana Aug 5, 2015 12:58 PM

About rjsantana


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Puerto Rico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.