Existing Member?

My Travels

Sydney New Years Eve

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 23 January 2011 | Views [305]

While in Sydney we stayed at the Maze Backpackers and on the 30th we walked across the Sydney Harbour Bridge. On the 31st we went to Mrs Macquaries (Botanical Park) area to watch the fireworks. We did make a few mistakes as firstly it wasn’t a BYO so had to throw away any alcohol we had and then we presumed there would be some sort of entertainment, so didn’t bother taking anything with us, only to find out that there wasn’t anything, so we got there at 5:00 and then had to wait for the fireworks with no entertainment. They had a short fireworks display at 9:30 and then kept setting fireworks off every so often until midnight when they had their main display, which was good, but if ever going to watch the fireworks there you need to take something to entertain yourself until midnight. In the park there was 20,000 people and when walking back to the hostel afterwards the streets were just full of people as there was everyone from down by the harbour as well. The had Sydney CBD almost all closed off and for the few streets that were open they had to have police to stop the mass of people otherwise there would of been a mass of people and no-one would of been able to drive through it.

On the 2nd we went up the Sydney Tower and saw the views over the city, and for once it was a clear day when we had a view so could see for miles. In the tower is also the highest post-box in the southern hemisphere.

On the 3rd we hired a car and headed south out of Sydney.

About rjenkins


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.