Existing Member?

My Travels

1st Day of trip and in New York

USA | Tuesday, 27 April 2010 | Views [416]

Well thought would try writing something here so got to New York fine, a bit of a long trip at night as landed at 1:30am British time. Got a taxi which cost $80 with the tolls which is a fair bit, but he got me to the hostel and checking in was easy. so got up at 8:30 in the morning and decided to skip breakfast as that wasn't served till 9:00 and wanted to get an early start as only had a day to see everything New York has to offer, managed to get round most places wanted to see. I took a walk through Central Park initially and headed up towards Times Square, this walk took me about 2 hours but I did do some detouring on the way to see random places. Then once been to Times Square which is like nothing else as there are just sign up every building, and even the police station there has a flashing sign. after that I headed to the Empire State building and went upto the 81st floor were the observatory is so you can have a view over Manhattan, it was a bit of a miserable day so you could only just see to the Brooklyn Bridge but still definitely worth going up as you get such good views of New York. After descending that I then headed for Grand Central Station, not much to say about this it is generally in the name, but it is definitely grand as there were chandeliers in there. the time was getting on towards 2o'clock at this point and thought I would have a walk up to the Brooklyn bridge and see that and the Statue of Liberty then catch the train back. However it didn't quite happen that way as after walking 20 streets I realised I was heading the wrong way but I thought it was then too much of a trek back to decided to talk a gentle stroll back to the Hostel through Central Park which took about 2 hours. The Manhattan area though is technically really easy to navigate as long as you head the right direction on the road as you have Avenue running north to south and the streets heading east to west so it's just a grid. don't quite now what would of done if had been here for 6 days as I reckon after the 2nd day I would probably be bored so a good thing that ash cloud delayed me. There will be photos to go with this story at some point but got to upload them first.

 

About rjenkins


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.