Existing Member?

The adventures of Putaro Follow me and my beautiful travel companion around Asia where we attempt to find nothing, but enjoy ourselves all the while

Viva Cambodia: On a country road

CAMBODIA | Sunday, 8 July 2007 | Views [547] | Comments [2]

We left Ko Chang about a week ago, and after a fortelling bumpy boat trip across the Gulf of Thailand we ended up on Laem Knop where we met up with our current Danish travel companions Andreas and Lessa. From Laem Knop we headed north to the Cambodian border crossing of Poipet....Entering a completely different world.  Begging children and adults a like surround you as take your first few steps into the dusty, dirty streets of Poipet-a town that resembles a set in an old spaghetti western.  Knowlegeable of the bus scams to Siem Reap, we still decided to take a bus to save a little money; however, after spending about 5 minutes of a possible 8 hours on the air-conditionless 1970's Studebaker of a bus we opted for a private taxi. The best eleven dollar's I ever spent. The road from Poipet to Siem Reap is something you have to see to believe. Hardly a road at all I suppose, at one point the car was in pot hole so big I couldn't see out the window. 

Four hours later we reached Siem Reap, our guesthouse had cancelled our reservation because we arrived too late, but we were able to get in the next day and it was great.  I highly recommend the Golden Temple Villa for anyone heading to see Angkor Wat.  They arranged a driver for us for a minimal fee, and we got to hangout with the unforgettable Chive for the next three days as he took us to Angkor Wat, Angkor Thom, and seemingly hundreds of more temples. Chive chilled in the car or found a hammock as we explored and wondered about the great accomplishments of the ancient Khmer's. How they were able to build such elaborate, intricate, massive structures a thousand years ago is amazing. 

And although I'm skipping over a lot of detail; after three days in Siem Reap we hopped aboard the air conditioned Mekong Express bus and headed towards Sihanoukville via Phnom Penh. There was a little discussion about a stay over in Phnom Penh, but after touring it by bus, I think it is going to get a complete miss.  Now we are in Sihanoukville, a pleasant town on the South Coast.  It kind of has a Thailand vibe, just a little more local.  Perhaps that is because it is rainy season, or maybe because I keep hearing people say it is like Thailand was 20 years ago. 

Today Mizuki and I are heading to the Starfish Cafe and Bakery, and NGO started by an American woman. A master baker, she trained a couple of disabled Khmer women in the art of baking, and now it is self sufficient organization run by disabled Khmer's- that seems to help a lot of people. 

Which is good, because there are a lot of people who need help here.  For the most part, I have found Khmer's to be very kind and friendly people; often smiling and engaging. Nonetheless, the lack of infrastructure in Cambodia is startling. My expectations weren't high, but I am still surprised. The number of street children and amputee's is als very high-- so although I have found Cambodia to be a pleasant, beautiful place..... It certainly has not come without encountering a lot sadness.

Tags: On the Road

Comments

1

Dude, I heard they are filming the next Rambo in Cambodia (i'm serious). The word on the street is that John Rambo is fixing boat engines in Thailand when some reporters get lost in Vietnam and he has to go save them. Tell Stalone I said whats up if you see him.

  D Jul 14, 2007 1:14 AM

2

sounds like a great trip. That's what i set out to do years ago starting from Japan and didn't pass go.
Enjoy even the poverty of it.

  al Jul 17, 2007 7:48 PM

About rjallen


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.