Existing Member?

Barley Breaking Even

Orlando Brewing Company

USA | Thursday, 28 May 2015 | Views [143] | Scholarship Entry

Any GPS will get you there. The name of the brewery is painted clearly on the outside of the building in a dusty warehouse district in sunny Florida. It was in Central Florida's original microbrewery that my passion for craft beer continued to flourish. At a time when craft beer was growing in popularity, they pushed the envelope further as the only USDA certified organic brewery south of Vermont and east of Colorado. I had to see, and taste what they were doing. So, I set out to adventure in this new town I had recently called home.

Dimly lit, the taproom was welcoming and the menu appeared endless. Unusual flavor combinations like hoppy grapefruit, lavender, and chocolate mint were all waiting to be experienced and dissected. A brewery tour would let me see how this was possible, so, with a chilled Imperial IPA in hand, I began my tour. Greeted by a wave of warm and humid air, I was walked through a live brewery -- the smell of hops filled the air. From start to finish, I was taken through every stage of the brewing process. Although this hadn't been my first time experiencing the process, there was something almost magical in seeing it in a larger scale and knowing that one-day, my dream of owning a similar microbrewery would be possible. Yes, even if it meant barley breaking even. Fascinated by the process and the intricacies, I knew this is something I had to continue exploring, and since this appetite opening experience, every new city I’ve visited has turned into a new chance to expand my knowledge with brewery tours and tastings! Each new stop has become an endless opportunity to learn about new technologies, flavors, ingredients, and people.

All that I ever hoped to experience while traveling was right here in this very cup. You see, this adventure didn’t require hopping a flight to an exotic destination or voyaging to the other side of the world to embrace some of the best coffee beans. I had done it right here. Right where I sat. My journey around the world, thus far, had only occurred as a result of the variety of ingredients brewed together to create something that could only be described as a… “liquid bliss.”

Until I have the opportunity to fill my passport with stamps from countries around the world, I have this great chance to indulge in imported honey and cocoa nibs, talk to locals and enthusiasts about their craft beer journey and fill my belly and heart to its content. I’m loving every minute of it.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About rizmarkie


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.