Existing Member?

Rinjani Mountain, My First Journey

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 28 March 2011 | Views [182] | Scholarship Entry

I took an expensive bus from Denpasar, Bali to go to Mataram. Don’t think I’m rich, the ticket scalpers, they beat me.
It took six hours from Denpasar to Mataram and spend the last three hours talking with marine. I got trauma when see a bus station, so when the bus reach there I ran to the nearest gas station. I need to fill my fuel bottle. Maybe it’s funny see a little man running with refrigator on his back.
My destination is Rinjani Mountain also known as the second highest volcano mountain in Indonesia. The notes said to reach the last village before trekking I should take a vegetable truck because it’s the only one ‘public’ transportation. In the truck, an old man ask me where are my friends. I said I came here all alone. He looked angry and said something in Sasak language, very hard to understood because It’s the first time I put my feet in Lombok Island. Many people has put their feet in Rinjani’s summit and it give me a morale boost. I spend one night in basecamp before the gear up in the morning. It was my first climbing and came here alone, hundreds miles from home. For my safety I hired a porter. The notes said it took nine until twelve hours to reach the last basecamp. We’re started walking nine. It just us in the trail in three hours until first post I met five people. They wispher good story to me. The first time I see savanna, very astonishing. Savanna dominate the path until third post. The first six hours was easy enough but the real adventure start after third post, 45-60 dagrees uphill track. But worth with Rinjani gave to me, birds, clouds, savanna are breathtaking. I’m really tired here and don’t know when I’ll reach the last basecamp, Plawangan Sembalun. The problem is fog, 5 meters visibility, walking without seeing anything. The porter was far behind. It took four hours. When the porter reach the basecamp too, we build tent and cook for our dinner. I sleep early to wake up in 1 p.m for summit attack. I waked up on time, all gear are up and the summit attempt is started. Volcanic sand dominate the path, you should be careful here. I took four hours to reach the summit, the longest than another summiters. The point is the success to put me feet in my first mountain. I go down to the basecamp after half hours. The next after summit is the lake but the porter didn’t allow me because Barujari Mountain, the mountain in the lake just active. So I decide to go down.
In the village I call the marine that just met in ferry. I need help to get a plane ticket to Jakarta and he said yes. After 1 hours calling, four marines pick me up. I feel like a president’s son. Speakin of which, the marine gave me a half price ticket.

Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

About rinjani


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.