Existing Member?

the sweetest peyeum

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Sunday, 22 April 2012 | Views [142] | Scholarship Entry

When I was elementary school, my father and I went to Kuningan for attending wedding party. Kuningan was one of town in West Java, Indonesia. My father and I went there by private car. Since our house was far from Kuningan , we had to go there in early morning. Beside my father and I, my cousin and my uncle also went together with us. We rented a car and a driver. Before arriving at Kuningan, we had to pass many towns, like Cianjur, Bandung, Majalengka, and so on. The journey was so far. In the half of journey, I felt uncomfortable. I continuously asked my father when we arrived. Since I felt very uncomfortable, I vomited. I started to cry. I did not want to vomit, since I hated it. Doing far journey was my enemy when I was elementary school. In Majalengka, my father decided to stop. There, we took a rest. My cousin and I had lunch. After having lunch, we decided to go again. Well, my nightmare came again. Although, I had lunch, my stomach did not compromise. I vomited on and on.
After arriving in Kuningan, our car was welcomed by our family there. We were served delicious foods. The foods were peyeum. Peyeum was the local food there. It consisted of rice. The kind of rice was always called ketan. Beside ketan, there was ragi. Ragi was the kind of fermentizer. So, in its process, ketan had to be mixed with ragi. After that, ketan was put in a bucket and covered. We had to wait it as long as one week, in order to the ketan become peyeum and emerge sweet taste.
When I went there, I could not forget how peuyeum is. The taste was very delicious. If you tried peuyeum in Kuningan, you might feel that this peyeum was different than the others in West Java, since this peyeum has sweet taste. Peyeum in Kuningan was the sweetest in West Java. Usually, peyeum was served to welcome guests who came to the house or became a desert when we had finished our lunch. So, if you go to Indonesia, especially Kuningan, West Java, don’t forget to taste peyeum.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About rinassanctuary


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.