Existing Member?

Life of Riley

My Video scholarship 2010 entry

WORLDWIDE | Saturday, 31 July 2010 | Views [1459] | Scholarship Entry

I came across this scholarship two weeks before the deadline and knew I had to apply, so I set out on a local encounter in my hometown of Portland, Oregon. I had recently read about a unique “edible rooftop garden” in Portland. Inspired by the mission and initiative of those involved, I wanted to share their story to stimulate a meaningful conversation about food. Everyone eats, but not everyone knows where their food comes from and the implications of that. The Noble Rot garden is sowing seeds of sustainability by reaping the ecological benefits of reclaiming green spaces in urban areas and a harvest of fresh food right where it’s needed.

For the shoot my main objective was to incite thoughtful answers from my interview subjects so I researched as much as possible in order to prepare thoughtful questions.

Working in a short time frame, I faced challenges shooting on a windy roof and in editing two hours of footage down to three minutes.

In my life I want nothing more than to be a documentary filmmaker. Stories open you up to new ideas and opportunities. The people I have met and things I have learned as a journalist and documentary filmmaker have enriched my life and expanded my horizons. I want to share that with others.

*Music used with permission from the record label. 

Tags: 2010 travel video scholarship

About rilesquad


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.