Existing Member?

Indian Subcontinent 2008 - 2009

Rajasthani Desert

INDIA | Friday, 28 November 2008 | Views [1051] | Comments [8]

Cisco spent the afternoon teaching these children Engish in the desert. The children were captivated and just wanted to keep learning. We really loved the little girl with short hair who is giggling on Cisco's lap.

Cisco spent the afternoon teaching these children Engish in the desert. The children were captivated and just wanted to keep learning. We really loved the little girl with short hair who is giggling on Cisco's lap.

Total land distance traveled: 2,293km

Dear friends and family – hello from Jodhpur, Rajasthan.

Firstly, thank you to everyone who has emailed us about our safety after the terrorist attacks in Mumbai on Wednesday. We are both safe and well. We were in the middle of the Thar desert when the attacks were happening (more on that later) so we only learnt of them on our return to civilization last night.

There is a lot of talk about the attacks here – and some violence is ongoing, but lucky (for us at least) it seems it is confined to Mumbai for now. We are however learning as much as we can about the attacks so we can take extreme precaution as we continue our travels. We have been advised to do our best not to appear English or American as these Westerners are most likely to be targeted. Thankfully Indians are warm and welcoming to New Zealanders and Irish travelers so our passports will be a real asset as we deal with Indians in the coming months. Cisco is going to remove his NY cap from now on as he’s been asked on several occasions if he is American. We also aren’t doing any touristy things on this trip so won’t be visiting places where large crowds gather. Thanks for everyone’s good wishes for safe travel J

Since we left Udaipur last Saturday we have had a wonderful time in the desert. Although its winter here it gets up to about 38 deg Celsius in the daytime. We’ve added photos of most of the below antics to the gallery – pls check them out. (Note: None of Cisco’s photos are on this time due to a virus on his external hard disk which we hope to resolve soon)

Our bus trip up to Jodhpur took us through some amazing desert landscapes, remote villages, and mountain ranges. The highlight of the trip (for Chloe) was when the old granny in front of Cisco got sick and started spraying her rice & green curry lunch out the window – which blew back and covered Cisco who was trapped in his seat and couldn’t move, who in turn wanted to spray his samosa lunch. It was ok though as he had the remaining 5 hours on the bus to dry out.

We spent a few days in Jodhpur (which we both love) and were then offered the chance to go and stay at our friend’s ancestral home in a village between Jodhpur and Jaisalmer (near the Pakistani border). We traveled by local bus for a few hours into the middle of nowhere where we spent the following 3 days in a village with no running water (infact hardly any water at all), no electricity, no shops/markets, no toilets or showers – basically just sand, mud huts, cows and goats. We ate dinner cooked on an open cow-dung fueled fire in a hut made from mud and sticks. Our meals consisted of dried chapatti soaked in freshly squeezed goats milk and bovine chai. We had an audience watching us so we had to eat, smile and nod with approval. Cisco said it reminded him of the sour milk Darnie sells in Kadoma. (poor Darnie)

No one in the village (of about 10 families) spoke English so Chloe made everyone laugh with her crack-pot Hindi. Despite the isolation (we had to walk 4km through the desert to get to the nearest road) we loved being in the village because of the sheer simplicity of life and the quiet and stress free life people live here.

While we were in the village there were two weddings going on – and also an exorcism. Our first night was pretty freaky. At night the village is pitch black – and everyone is in their huts by 7pm. Later that night we heard a blood-curdling scream of a woman who was wailing and screaming for over half an hour in the darkness. We were concerned what was going on so observed from a distance. After a while a fire was lit and men sat around her and started chanting and shouting and looking like they were drawing evil spirits out of her. Very spooky stuff…

While in the village we walked to a nearby village (pop 3,000) with a school which our friend Govind has set up. This village is very dusty and dirty and doesn’t get any tourists, so we were like movie stars for the day. There are some photos of Setrawa village on the gallery.

We are now back in Jodhpur where we will stay until next Tuesday. We then get a 17 hour train to Lucknow, from where we will start our journey north to Nepal.

Missing everyone – hope you are all well. Please keep up the emails and comments. Although we can only check briefly once per week its great to hear from you.

Lots of love,

Chloe & Fra xxxxxxxxxxx

Comments

1

Every time the update email drops in i cant wait to see the next installment.
You have some brilliant pictures guys.
Keep it up were all watching in awe of you two.

Have fun, stay safe.
Gary

  Gary Whittaker Nov 28, 2008 11:48 PM

2

Dear Chloe & Fra
Thanks so much for the update. Whilst I knew you were well north of Mumbai I am very glad to hear you are safe and well. Chloe, I know I speak on behalf of all your mates at work in Melb:-) You are certainly having a great adventure and the pictures are astounding. I am glad you are going 'walkabout' as we would say here in Aus & you are not doing the real touristy stuff. Take care and I look forward to the next update. Love, Heath xx

  Heather Nov 30, 2008 11:48 AM

3

Hi Fra & Chloe
Great reading the update and obviously having a ball. Glad that you have you have your finger on the security pulse and are being cautious. Hope you manage to sort out the camera as I am loving the pics. Take care of yourselves and hope you dont get deli-belli or ringsting. God bless,
Dad x x x x

  Val de Souza Nov 30, 2008 10:04 PM

4

Getting puked on can be traumatic - I still haven't recovered from the oatmeal porridge spray that landed on my school desk 35 years ago! It could have been worse - green curry! It could only happen to Francisco.

So many adventures / misadventures, and you're only 2 weeks into your trip! As I said before - pace yourselves, but keep on updating the blog - I need some good laughs.

  Johnny the advice giver Dec 1, 2008 11:27 AM

5

Yet another fantstic read.....you guys sound exhausted but with each new stop it seems to fill you (and us)with incredible adrenalin and you're mamking the most of EVERY opportunity which is brilliant for us too as we get to share it with you and makes us feel as tho we're right behind you. thanks for the regular detailed news and for keeping us so entertained. Look forward to reading your next chapter. thinking of you both and keep up the awesome work!!!! Enjoy and God Bless. take care of each other.

  Jnr and Ness Dec 5, 2008 7:00 PM

6

I am glad to hear that you are safe - I tell David the same thing when he is traveling - if asked, he is Canadian. He is Malyasia now - spoke to him for quite awhile this a.m. and am glad to hear that he is safe. You are having some great experiences and hope your travels continue to be safe ones. Janice

  janice frossard Dec 7, 2008 2:58 AM

7

Hey guys! I too love you installments, and am glad that you are getting out and about with the local people. Am thinking of you, and hope that this is proving to be the trip of your dreams (which it certainly sounds like!).

Love Jen

  Jen Dec 9, 2008 5:18 PM

8

Hi Guys,
Wow, wow and wow once again. I'm so glad to hear that the Mumbai attacks have not adversely effected your travels. And I'm amazed at your stories and pictures so far. Thank you so much for sharing them with us all. As I write, you must be in Nepal, I hope you're enjoying it as much as the rest of your journey uptil now, and I hope Cisco's camera got sorted out...
Can't wait to read the next instalment!
Lots of love, and travelling with you in spirit,
Aaliyah xxx

  Aaliyah Dec 15, 2008 6:20 AM

About rickshawalas

Us clean and shiny before we leave...

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.