Existing Member?

Indian Subcontinent 2008 - 2009

Amdavad, Gujarat

INDIA | Sunday, 16 November 2008 | Views [4125] | Comments [4]

Us wearing traditional Gujarati clothes

Us wearing traditional Gujarati clothes

Dearest friends and family,

It’s been almost a week since we last were able to jump online and get some photos and stories up – but SO much has happened. We’ve been to some amazing places and met some truly wonderful people on our journey from Southern Gujarat to Rajasthan.

Firstly we wanted to say how wonderful it was to log in today and see all the comments and emails about our last post. What a brilliant surprise! Its so lovely to know that you are traveling with us on this adventure. Everything has gone so smoothly – we are both well and safe and very happy.

Since we have been in India we have only been able to wash with cold water in a bucket and have not had the luxury of flush toilets. It sounds tough but it honestly hasn't been a problem because when we see families living on the street on a piece of cardboard we know how lucky we are to have access to water in any form.

Despite all their hardships, we have found children to be exceptionally polite and have a strong sense of values and respect for their family and their faith. Every child we meet just wants to learn or practice english so we have tried our best to help them as much as possible by sitting and talking with them. All the children ask for is "one pen" and when we hand them out its almost like we have given them a brand new computer game. Life is simple here and we feel very at home.

Here is what we've been up to since we last posted...

Amdavad, Gujarat: (NB: See the Amdavad photo gallery for the photos which accompany this update.)

When we last updated we were about to leave Diu in Southern Gujarat by overnight sleeper bus. We were heading back to Amdavad to find the family with the tiny baby in the Styrofoam box and to see what we could do to help them. It cost us £2.50 to travel 12 hours in the bus which was kitted out with 10 double beds – like nothing we had seen before! It was all fun and exciting until we started off and realized the rumours that this is one of the worst roads in India proved to be true. We were thrown about all night on the most bumpy bus journey ever. Cisco was concerned all night about his camera gear being smashed to pieces en route.

We arrived in Amdavad exhausted but excited to be back there and hopefully able to find the little family on the street. The best thing about our bus ride was meeting our new friends Mihir and Jyoti. Cisco greeted them with Namaste (Hindi for hello) and we ended up sitting and chatting with them all night. When we arrived in Amdavad the next morning they invited us to their home and made us extremely welcome. They offered us their bed to sleep in, made us a delicious Gujarati breakfast of Poha and chai.

Before lunch Mihir took us on our mission into central Amdavad to try to find the family with the tiny baby. The three of us piled onto his motorbike and headed through the crazy Sunday markets and traffic like we have never seen before: rickshaws, scooters, cows, bikes, carts, camels, buses, and wedding processions. After about an hour we found the family on the same street corner and Mihir spoke with them in Gujarati and found out that the baby wasn’t sick, just very weak and dehydrated, and had been since it was born. We then left for the bazaar and bought them rice, oil, blankets, baby bottle, rehydration salts, flour, and clothes for all the children. They were extremely grateful and we will never forget the smiles on their faces. It was hard to walk away when we wanted to do more- but the system here in India prevents this (more on this later). It was definitely worth changing our plans to come back and make sure the baby was ok and had the medical treatment it needed.

Back at the house Jyoti prepared an excellent lunch of dahl and tomato and potato curries which we ate on the floor with our hands. After lunch they insisted that we wore their traditional Gujarati outfits (see photos in the gallery) which we both loved. In the evening they took us shopping for Gujarati clothes and we ate corn and masala on the side of the road. It was a wonderful day and it was sad to say goodbye to our new friends as we boarded our train for Udaipur, Rajasthan at 11pm that night.

We love Gujarat- which was made special by all the wonderful people we met, especially Mihir and Jyoti.

 

Comments

1

Hallo my beloved friends!

I'm really, really sorry for not having written for such a long time but I am always on the run and the rest of the time I enjoy 'family life' with my boyfriend :P
I am very much excited to read about your travel adventures. What you are doing is simply winderful. I admire you, guys! I feel a bit enviuos about your mission because I never got to fulfil my African journey. Now, I'm enjoying the most ordinary life you can imagine, I have very simple dreams and that makes me happy. I guess I have added a different spice to my life if you know what I mean :-)
Send you all my love! Miss you a lot!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Zavi Nov 22, 2008 5:12 AM

2

Hey guys, glad to hear you are both safe and well and having such a wonderful & rewarding time. I'm so tempted to jump on a plane & join you for a wee while. Keep the photos coming as am loving them.:-)

Have fun,
Steve

  Steve Carter Nov 24, 2008 5:16 AM

3

Hello Both
Glad to see your travels so far have been full of excitement...
Its lovely to read your blogs, and feel like we are travelling with you...
Isn't Gujarat the greatest?! (Guess where we are from! Hehe!)
Keep well and enjoy it all... Its a wonderful thing you are doing...
:o)

  Seema and Ajay Supeda Dec 3, 2008 2:25 AM

4

Have to apologise to you both as we have only just hooked onto your awesome site and its been just incredible catching up with your adventure and travels. I have to say firstly how the Good Lord has certainly kept you far from harms way as you both have such an important role there and you're doing some incredible work and am sure he's very very pleased with the two of you!!!! You're a true inspiration to us - as we've always said to you Fra.

chloe you are doing such an awesome job of keeping us all so close to your experiences and we do feel as tho you're not that far away and we just love reading your blog, you certainly have a gift (well many at this rate) your way of sharing your adventures makes us feel as tho we're a part of it all. THANK YOU as we can only imagine how hard it must be to do all you're doing as well as keeping in touch with us all.

Keep up the good work and we look forward to reading a whole lot more especially now that we know how to hook on. thank goodness you sent us that site address again thanks.

God's richest blessing and guidence to you both
Jnr and ness xxx

  Jnr and Ness Dec 5, 2008 6:27 PM

About rickshawalas

Us clean and shiny before we leave...

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.