Existing Member?

Love for adventure

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Tuesday, 28 February 2012 | Views [387] | Scholarship Entry

Food is the best ingredient for discoverers of new cultures. Colors, shapes, feelings, smells. A new taste of life around, a pinch of curiosity for the difference, a sip of freshness poured into the humdrum life of a citizen of this amazing world.
I had the first experience out of my "domestic" environment in 2003, I was 20 years old and I plunged myself beyond any rational distance (according to my childhood expectations), by catapulting myself into the Asian continent, and specifically in Indonesia. I must admit it, although my young age and ignorance over a world unknown to me at all, for me it was not like feeling alone in a new world, conversely it was like feeling complete in a different world, like discovering a new being of myself. One of those thoughts was about food. During my time there, the "Food" experience was like a matched key which allowed me to enter into that new embedded environment. It is amazing how sometimes food can bring you into a new culture with "no pain", without too many thoughts and doubts, fears and regrets. Every food there was like a new door to open, a new desire for discovery, desire for taste, a new sip of culture to drink. Every part and recipe I wanted to taste in my palate seemed like thousands of rows of hundreds of books I should have read. And when sometimes, I heard or seeing some people who are afraid to taste some kind of international food, only because it comes from other cultures or made by other "foreign" hands, what I think is that those people are just afraid of discovering a new culture, a new world, a new environment. What a pity! A lost opportunity which may not occur twice in a lifetime. Food is not only a mere survival, food is a lifestyle. Years of evolution and improvement, when people increase and shape every aspect of their culture. That's why I'm always curious to and proud to put body and soul, heart and taste, everytime I find myself discovering a new culture.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About richard_sights


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.