Existing Member?

Riane's Adventures jiak hong

Sharing Stories - A Glimpse into Another's Life - Angkor Beer

CAMBODIA | Friday, 19 April 2013 | Views [313] | Scholarship Entry

I step into the mini-mart, a short walk away from the hostel, past loud bars that boast cheap beer and laughing girls. This is out of character for me, but 3 days of close company with diverse travel companions had made me crave some time alone. I take the time to contemplate my choice of chocolate, when I hear a rush of chatter, doors being pushed open and furniture being brought in. I'm unsure if i should help the couple and their child as they set up their dinner table in the middle of the shop. So, I look out past the commotion instead, as I realise it has started to rain, suddenly and heavily. I stare out in panic, as I have no way of getting back to my hostel.

"Come, have some dinner with us, yes?" a man's voice cuts into my thoughts. I sheepishly accept as I sit down at the plastic table brought in just minutes before, not knowing what else to do. He introduces me to his wife, a pretty young girl not much older than me. She smiles excitedly at me, to make up for her lack of English. And then, to his son, who ignores me, more interested in his food. "Come have some beef, just grilled!", the man tells me handing me a bowl. We eat, and he starts to tell me about himself. He owns the shop, he's a businessman, I'm not too sure what exactly he does. He tells me about his wife, she loves 'to disco', so he brings her 'to disco'. But he's getting old, so they don't go so often anymore. He tells me about his son, a smart young boy, just like his father, as he ignores us yet again. He hands me a frozen beer, "the best kind" he proclaims, Cambodia's finest- the Angkor beer.

Conversation turns to Cambodia, and he tells me of his love for his homeland, of the Khmer Rouge, and of his hopes for her future. He asks me about Singapore, admiration and pride apparent, as he tells me he's been there before. He tells me a bit more about his business and his future plans, and we both sense the impending lull in the conversation, having shared as much as you politely can with a complete stranger. Thankfully, the rain has also stopped, and I start to take my leave. Profusely thanking them and offering to pay, he waves it off and says I can do the same when he's in Singapore. I walk back to the hostel, full of good food, and touched by their kindness.

The next day, I go back to the shop, but he isn't there. I see his wife, who smiles again, this is as far as our conversation can go. So, I smile back, hoping it is enough thanks, for more than just the food.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About riane


Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.