Existing Member?

Kilimanjaro 2013

The joy of planning - Kilimanjaro

USA | Thursday, 17 January 2013 | Views [181]

I often find that preparing for a trip is the most exciting part. Anticipation of what I'll see, eat, and drink (ooohh, new beers!) gets me going like nothing else. Add in the fact that I get to explore my inner OCD with spreadsheets, lists, and the like it's a great time for me. And don't forget the maps. Unfolding a new map is traveler porn at it's height. Look at that one little town out in the middle of now where. How come there aren't any roads in that spot? Topographical lines begin to flash in my head like numbers from a scene in The Matrix.

That is where I'm at right now. Planning my portion of a trip to Tanzania. To be fair a friend is doing the heavy lifting on this one. I'm just making sure I'm ready. Apparently Kilimanjaro is kinda high up. Thinking of how many miles we'll do per day helps me get myself physically ready. Thinking of the altitude makes me physically sick. I've never hiked above 11,000 feet. Altitude sickness can cause headaches, nausia, and mental confusion. While these are common symptoms for me on a typical Sunday morning my normal corrective procedure of a bowl of chili and a nap on the couch won't be an option. But since there's no benefit to worrying about it I'll move one.

Visas are on the way, travel insurance purchased, shots have been administered. We still have several weeks before we leave so not much else to do right now. Although, I haven't decided on what clothes to bring. Cool, a new list to make...

Tags: trekking

 

About rglover7


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.