Existing Member?

the only way to travel "if you stay true to yourself, you will always remain on track, even if that track takes you off the beaten path, to places you could not possibly imagine." ~ Debra Ollivier

hallo from the land of the swiss!

SWITZERLAND | Sunday, 22 October 2006 | Views [322]

i've made it through my first 10 days in Switzerland, and i thought i would drop you all a little hello and update. 

i finally arrived in Basel after almost a month of delay in the states (because of my visa) and a seven hour delay in Frankfurt (because of foggy conditions). Novartis arranged for a relocation assistant to pick me up at the airport, which was helpful given my nearly 150 pounds of luggage. she dropped me off at a hotel right in the middle of downtown Basel, which is where i stayed until my "apartment" was ready for me this past tuesday. i checked in with my boss, John, who asked if i would come in and meet some people...i was inclined to say no, given the fact that i'd been traveling for about 20 hours, but didn't think that would be a good opening move. so i hopped in the shower, had the concierge point me in the right direction, and headed to Novartis. John picked me up at the gate and we walked to the building where i now work...which (long story short) has an art display on the front that's the height of an entire floor and basically consists of a ticker with sayings written by the artist (Jenny Holzer, in case you were curious) scrolling across it 24 hours a day. my favorite that i have actually seen is: when you throw your spear at an elephant, make sure you don't miss. my favorite that i have not personally seen but have heard about is: what is your hand doing in my pocket? and surprisingly, i'm not making this up. 

i met a couple of people i work with that afternoon, but met more on my first full day (friday). i was a little exhausted, but managed to get through it just fine. John got on the train with me to head home, and we ran into a couple of people he knew...and (long story short) got me invited out with them that night. i decided i could go out, have dinner, meet some other Novartis people, and call it a night. i did eventually call it a night, then spent the rest of the weekend sleeping off my jet lag and walking Basel to get the lay of the land. it's a cute little city, and most of the people seem friendly (though it's hard to tell when i keep offering french and they keep responding in german...). the weather has been absolutely gorgeous, so i've been exploring a lot on foot. because the last two sundays have been so nice, the paths along the river (which i have been frequenting) have been packed. there is also a distinct lack of things to do on sundays, because everything is closed. i can appreciate that, but when the weather cools down i'm going to need somewhere to go that's indoors to get out of my apartment.

speaking of my apartment...i moved in on tuesday. it's...petite. but it has a really convenient combination kitchen/shower that i'm getting used to, and the location couldn't really be better. it's at least starting to look like i live here (stuff everywhere and lots of pictures on the wall...some things remain the same on both sides of the atlantic). and my landlady left me a box of lindt truffles when i moved in, so she pretty much won me over instantly. ;o)

i really am enjoying work, though everyone tells me that feeling will wear off shortly. i'm learning a lot, meeting a lot of people, and have quite a few interesting projects that i'm juggling. there are people in my office from 3 continents, and any one of 4 languages could be used in my vicinity at any given moment. personally, i think that's great. :o) i'm no longer going to russia (my boss actually left a couple of days ago already) because i arrived so much later than originally thought. it's ok, though, this place would really be a disaster if i had left 2 days after moving in to go on a week-long jaunt to st. petersburg. 

for the sake of brevity, i'm going to cut if off there. email me and let me know the state of things where you are (e-town, chicago, cali, the cities, germany, new hampshire, texas, and who knows where else...)

miss you all, hope to hear from you soon!

Tags: Everyday adventures

About restlessfeet


Where I've been

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.