Existing Member?

Beyond República Negrense

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

PHILIPPINES | Wednesday, 14 March 2012 | Views [339] | Comments [1] | Scholarship Entry

"I was born to travel," I said in a conversation with a friend. Travel stories from children's books have enthralled me so much like the story of Moby Dick and even that of Marco Polo. My fire of interest to travel grew aflame as I discovered that my family name – Magallanes, is Ferdinand Magellan's Spanish family name. That was enough proof to convince my two decades and a year self.
Last Christmas of 2011, I decided to explore northern Aklan to discover unspoiled wonders that have long evaded the eyes of tourists. While most of the tourists decided to go directly to world-famed Boracay Island, I decided to stop by the town of Nabas and experience the town up close.
I arrived in Nabas at night and was billeted in a small resort by the sea. The accommodation was basic, with a comfortable bed, running water to take a bath and electricity. No television here, just the sound of the waves crashing by the beach. Stars can clearly be seen twinkling with fireflies perching by the woodlands. It was a paradise to behold.
As dawn broke, the hue of sunshine colored the sea gold against the white and gray pebble beach. Walking by the beach, I saw some locals pulling a line from the sea, an interesting sight to behold so decided to join them. Some locals marveled at the sight of a mestizo-looking tourist joining them. In appreciation, some of them invited me over for coffee.
As conversations went along, I discovered that there is more to the town than just unspoiled paradise, it was in fact home to my long lost family heritage. Their beloved late mayor was after all a distant relative. With the help of the locals, they led me to the house of this long-lost relative.
I was met by the sister of the late Mayor who marveled upon seeing a relative, a descendant of my family patriarch's brother who parted ways and traveled to Aklan a century ago. It was an unplanned reunion that completed a bit of myself, in the most unexpected of place. This experience proved travel and discovery is in my blood, I was born to travel.

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

 

Comments

1

My great grand mother ( Trinidad Magallanes-Arevalo, RIP) is also the daughter of the great conquistadores, Ferdinand Magallanes. Here roots can be traced in Aklan.

  Cholo Feb 17, 2013 11:24 PM

About republicanegrense


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.