Existing Member?

The Compass - always pointing to your next step

Slippers and suit

ARGENTINA | Monday, 12 May 2014 | Views [251] | Scholarship Entry

It was 10 pm and I was returning by walk to my hotel. It was my first night in Buenos Aires and I was wondering arrive at my hotel and sleep. I was tired after walking the tourist areas all day in the capital of Argentina.

When I was about two blocks from the hotel, I noticed a cluster of people on the sidewalk and I decided to check what was happening. As I approached, I noticed that it was a nightclub. And as the queue was full, I figured it should be one of the most famous in the city.

So I approached three guys standing in line noticed that I was wearing a shirt of Flamengo, the most famous team in Brazil. They questioned me if I was Brazilian and a supporter of the Brazilian team. The conversation yielded. We spoke of course about football. The three guys were from Liverpool.

The interest for Flamengo was since the game that the two teams staged in 1981. On occasion, the champion of South America faced the European champions to see who was the best team in the world at the time. Flamengo won by 3-0 . And since then , the three guys began to like the Brazilian team as well.

The three invited me to join the club with them. But, beyond tired, I was not dressed properly. I was in slippers, wearing a team's shirt and shorts.

One of the guys decided to lend me a suit he wore. And so I decided to enter. It seems crazy, but it seems I was the first person in the world to get into a nightclub in shorts, flip flops and a suit. I was dressed up for a carnival ball.

I can say it was a spectacular evening, despite not having money in my pocket. My three new friends have paid everything for me. I drank, ate and I danced. While I was dancing (in a slippers and a suit), I was presented to Maria Luz, a beautiful Argentinian girl. I could not kiss her at the club but we had a romance in the following weeks. Maria Luz became my oficial guide in Buenos Aires. Before leaving, I met my English friends for three times . On the other occasion I wore pants, shoes, just in case we need to come in a more upscale environment. And , as an educated Brazilian, I paid the bill to repay the first night.

After come back to Brazil, Maria Luz has telephoned me and she said was missing me. Maria Luz also said to me that she have never thought that could like a guy who go to a nightclube wearing slippers and suit.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About renan-franca


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.