Existing Member?

Gifts Along the Way

Pilgrimage to the River

PHILIPPINES | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [180] | Scholarship Entry

Norzagaray is a town in the province of Bulacan. It was a historic place and has some heritage sites. There is a river in Norzagaray called Bitbit. And that was our destination.

The dawn was breaking when our 13-kilometer journey on foot started. Four men were with me. A thought of whether I would be safe with them came to me. Nonetheless, they’re my friends.

I carried with me my burden. It was a bag of unnecessary stuff. We have to reach the river at mid-morning. But the path is a zigzag road, a mountainous place. I felt sorry that one of the men had to wait for me. Bikers were seen, and I hoped I had a bike too.

It was a Sunday morning. I could hear the singing of choir inside churches we passed by. In the streets we saw children playing, natives busy cutting wood while others did the laundry in front of their houses. Some were taking a bath, still poised and seemed unembarrassed. Some establishments were closed and there was no way I could leave my bag. A lot of dogs were madly barking at us, recognizing that we were real foreigners.

We found convenient areas where we could sit and replenish our lost fluids. The men’s faces were all covered with sweat. Their clothes were wet as if they had plunged into a pool.

But we have to get going. As we moved up, the presence of civilization slowly disappeared. The long road felt empty. The climb was forever just like the endless blue skies. We bathed in the sun’s light.

My feet sore in the lonely highways. My shoulders ached in this thousand-mile journey. Sam took my burden so I could run faster. This taken pathway is now easy for me. But I felt sorry for him.

Hours later, we reached the dirt road. The dam could be seen from afar. Fogs converge with the forests. We could hear the gentle whisper of the river.

The story of our destination was gradually unfolding. High emotions continue to fill me. The beating of my heart echoes. The sound is softly inviting us closer to its abode.

Through my eyes I saw the glistening emerald river. Grand forests served as the ancient guardians. We crossed the rocks where dog tracks were stamped on them.

Our skins felt the coolness of the river.

“River, did you bring me here?”

It was an auspicious time. I will never forget the day I joined that ecstasy. In India, pilgrims went to the river Ganges to cleanse their sins. That day, it was like a pilgrimage to release our stress. It was a time of rest after a grueling long climb. What a lovely Sunday in that sanctuary!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About renaissancesoulja


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Philippines

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.