Existing Member?

Tales of Mountain Life

Bozeman, Montana

USA | Thursday, 28 May 2015 | Views [103] | Scholarship Entry

Buzzman? Boeman? Buseman? Before I journeyed to the West, I heard it all. Not only was I moving to Montana (a state that most know nothing about), but I had also chosen to ‘settle’ in a podunk town with a name that conjures up scenes from Deliverance – cue audio of banjo duel. So, in an effort to quell your curiosities and enlighten y’all on small town living, this is dedicated to Bozeman, Montana. When I lived in Toronto I used to revel in the amazing view from my back deck - the ancient maple trees, the manicured backyards and the cityscapes. Everything was so pretty. Or, so I thought. In Boze, my views have dramatically improved as I am literally surrounded by mountains. Specifically, for those geo nuts…the Bridgers to the NNE, the Tobacco Roots to the WSW, the Big Belts and Horseshoe Hills to the NW, the Hyalite Peaks to the S and the Spanish Peaks to the SSW. Yes, every time I leave my house I am greeted by these beautiful and majestic ranges. Earlier last month they were covered with snow, but now they're on full display in their green glory inviting me to come and play! Which brings me to my next point. Imagine you’re addicted to, say, House of Cards. (I admit, I binge watched Season 2 in just 2 days) Like my addiction to Netflix, the people of Bozeman are addicted to MUCH healthier forms of entertainment, like being outside. I call it mountain crack. Sure, people embark on their 14 minute commute each day (a fact verified by reliable source on Google!) but they clock out early to load up their pick-ups and head out to spend time outdoors. Amazing! If you're an urbanite like myself, i'd bet that your knowledge of small town living has been formed almost exclusively by what you see on TV. Ha! So, here's the deal. There are a handful of restaurants (30+) each with a variety of food/culture. And I’m not talking McDonald’s people – ‘real’ food. And they promote local. This is evident along Main Street (the irony of this name is not lost on me) that has clothing stores, art galleries..etc. Each Tuesday, Bogart Park hosts the town’s farmers market which I eagerly attend for the food trucks/stalls. Last week my dinner consisted of a delicious huckleberry smoothie (state fruit of Idaho), a fresh veggie crepe and a chicken skewer. So random, but oh sooo good! So there ya have it. I’ve shared everything I know about Boze in almost as many words as there are people in this magnificent, outdoorsy and inspiring town! Off to play in the mountains!

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About reidontheroad


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.