Existing Member?

A Refugee's Joy Shown

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 22 March 2012 | Views [144] | Scholarship Entry

It is a cold afternoon in Phoenix and I am gathering my volunteers, talking to reporters, and handing out gifts. I am at my last apartment complex giving out three huge bright orange bags full of gifts to a newly arrived refugee family I have worked with the past few months. I knock and the family’s first reaction seems overwhelmed with five volunteers and a reporter with a camera is at their door, however they know me all too well. I intern with the International Rescue Committee helping newly arrived refugees obtain items they need to make the transition easier in America.
This family has seen me often and as they look around, our eyes meet, they smile and welcome all of us in.
This time in their home is different than my usual visit there. This Somali family of two- a young mother and her 7 year old daughter unwrap their holiday gifts purchased by the community. The mother is overcome with joy and tells her story of fleeing for her life due to the Civil War in Somalia, dealing with her daughter’s serious health condition, and losing her husband to the militants. My volunteers and I are touched by the story and I even start to cry.
After the gifts are unwrapped the mother is quite please at all the practical items she received; however looking around this baby-faced girl did not receive many toys or games. The little girl mentions to us how she had hoped for a bike. Hearing the gut-wrenching story the mother told us, one of the volunteers was moved and a week later brought a new, shiny, pink bike with pink streamers.
As my volunteers and I knocked on her door once again, the little girl opens the door, with a smile as-big-as-can-be, ran to me and hugged me tight! I did not get her the bike, but she knew me. That moment changed my life. Seeing this little refugee girl so happy after all that she has been through impacted me in such a way that can never be fully explained.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About refugeegifts


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.