Existing Member?

hope

A Local Encounter that Changed my Perspective - What’s America?

USA | Saturday, 13 April 2013 | Views [149] | Scholarship Entry

When I was 10 years old I started watching American movies. As a young girl in Bahrain, I felt very excited about all the things I saw. It is a big country with nice weather, buildings and language. A few years later some American teachers taught me a lot about American culture and they encouraged me to read English books and improve my English. They were very nice and helpful. It was one of my dreams to finish my study in America but I didn’t find a chance. Then September 11th happened and I thought I would lose that chance forever.
I still remember that moment, I felt very sad and afraid. September 11 was the worse date for the world. I remember sitting with my family while we watched the Bahrain news channel. Suddenly, I saw how the plane crashed and the building exploded. I thought I had lost my dream of going to U.S. I am an Arabic and Muslim woman and I hate terrorists. They are not a part of us, and in every country there are good and bad people and because of this, America and many other countries seem to get wrong idea about us. But as they say, in time all wounds will heal.
After a couple of years the dream becomes reality and I went to America. I was Concerned about how American people will look at me as Arabic and Muslim women. I thought they will hate me and avoids dealing with me, but I discovered from the first day for me in US that I was wrong. In every place American people smile for you. They were very helpful, respectful and kind.
I learned a lot of things, but the most important thing is how the time is important and I mustn’t lose any second. My doctor taught me that I can play hard and work hard. After this experience I will never judge before make sure that I’m right.


Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About reem


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.