Existing Member?

surreal

Buenos Aires

ARGENTINA | Thursday, 1 January 2009 | Views [312] | Comments [2]

We finally arrived in Buenos Aires after a long but uneventful flight.Once we landed in BA the heat hit us, humid hot and hectic was the first impression.Got to the hostel without too much trouble and slept! and slept some more.Our spanish got a bit of a work out its hard to remember to speak it, you tend to say thank you or yes instead of gracias and si but oh well, we were basically understood so that was ok.

Breakfast on the roof top of the hostel was a good way of taking in the city.We went for a walk around to get our bearings wandered along the Ave de Mayo which leads down to the beautiful Plaza de Mayo, surrounded by huge old buildings, the Prime ministers offices ( which are pink!)are at the end of the Plaza.

We decided to then walk down to San Telmo which is a working class barrio with cobble stoned roads, on sundays its filled with market stalls and people tango dancing it was awesome just to wander and soak up the atmosphere.

Recoleta was the next stop, that also has Sunday markets and a good vibe although its a more upperclass neighbourhood.The park is lovely full of people relaxing and street performers.Recoleta cemetary was closed by the time we finished looking at the markets, so that would have to be saved for another day.There is a lovely church right next door supposedly the oldest church in Buenos Aires, it has the most ornate alter i have seen, unfortunately you cant take pictures so you will just have to take my word for it!.

Day 3 saw us in La Boca & Camminito area of B.A.Its down near the docks.We were told it is/was a poor immigrant area, it has a great vibe the main building there is the La Boca Juniors soccer stadium, these people are loco about football/soccer.This area is were all the colorful corregated iron houses are, very eye catching.

Day 4 - off to recoleta cemetary, very eerie place filled to the brim with huge tombs, very ornate and beautiful, rich and influential people are buried here, ex presidents etc...the most visited tomb is of course Eva Perons, its not all that hard to find you just have to follow the crowds and its the one with fresh flowers all over it.

Day 5 - we caught the ferry over to Colonia-Uruguay,pretty old colonial village by the sea, just wandered around the cobblestone streets and lanes looking in shops and a nice lunch by the water,another stamp on the passport!! Back to Buenos Aires for new years eve only to find most cafes and bars closed as its more of a family holiday than  party night.Eventually after much searching we found a bar in a plaza in San Telmo, great atmosphere, left just before midnight to go back to the hostel, and email loved ones, good idea too as soon as the clock struck midnight people came out and set off fireworks all over the city it sounded like war had broken out..lol...crazy south americans!

 

Comments

1

Got your email...glad you found someplace with a connection lol. Be careful in the jungle..they've got fun and games...hahaha, couldn't resist. Hugsss...have fun!! miss you

  Ali Jan 5, 2009 8:06 AM

2

haha...u nut..i´ll be glad to get out of the altitude and polution of quito...its pretty but the altitude is kiling me

  ree Jan 6, 2009 9:30 AM

About ree


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Argentina

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.