Existing Member?

Thirst for travel It all started to enter a WorldNomads competition. The idea is to share my knowledge about the places I have been or lived with all of you.

5 Must Do Things in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria

SPAIN | Monday, 29 August 2011 | Views [13167] | Comments [5]

Las Palmas de Gran Canaria might not be your usual destination on a trip to Spain (unless you are the sun and fun type of tourist coming on a vacation package) but the city and its surroundings are a hidden gem. I spent my teenage years living here and let me tell you I couldn’t have grown up in a better place: 

 

The weather is fine all year around. You can sunbather and swim even in the winter.

Never gets too hot or too cold. It’s like an eternal spring. 

The pace of life is laid back and relax. People are very warm and welcoming.

In one island you can pack all kind of adventures. From magnificent dunes to 2,000 Mts. high volcanic mountains.

 

Forget about the misconception that Las Palmas de Gran Canaria is a very touristic place, that will be the south part of the island where all the tourist oriented places are located. Las Palmas is just a medium size town with lots to offer so here are the 5 Must Do things if you decide to come visit:

 

Splash and play at Las Canteras Beach

 

It must be one of the best city beaches in Spain. An unknown for the tourist crowd, this beach is mostly used by locals. During the winter days the weather is fantastic and the beach is almost empty. It has all the services (hammocks hire, drinks sellers, lifeguards) and a beautiful promenade full of bars and restaurants where you can jog, eat al fresco, enjoy the view and the sea breeze or even listen to live music.

 

Surf’s up!

 

nother city beach is La Cicer where all the surfers go. In this area you have all the amenities you have in Las Canteras but the sea current is a bit strong. There are several surf schools and shops where you can hire your equipment or get a one-on-one lesson and learn how to ride those waves. This beach is also less crowded and more laid back so you can play football (soccer) on the beach with your friends or other sports. On the promenade area there are also plenty of eating options.

 

 

Cultural sites

 

Although at first the city does not seem very pretty there is a old town area worth visiting: Vegueta. In here you will find the city’s cathedral (built in the 18 hundreds) and plenty of old colonial buildings. Get lost in the cobble stoned streets and enjoy the calmness of the neighborhood. There are also a few museums such as Museo Canario (history and pre-history of the island museum), Casa de Colon (where Christopher Columbus stopped over on his way to America) and the modern art museum (CAAM). Besides the area has a great culinary offer for those wanting to do a tapas stopover.

 

Visit a volcano crater

 

The Caldera de Bandama is located at the meeting point of three municipalities: >Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Santa Brígida and Telde. There is a hiking path you can follow to the bottom or if you feel lazy drive a car to the top of Bandama’s peak where you can have breathtaking views of the whole crater. Being a volcanic island Gran Canaria is full of geological wonders but this one is the closest to the city.

 

Try the local cuisine

 

Papas con mojo, ropa vieja, cherne, bienmesabe, etc...are just a few of the local dishes that the Canaries offer. Las Palmas has plenty of places where to taste this local delicacies. Most famous dish is Papas con Mojo, small boiled potatoes with their skin and served with a spicy red sauce. It is just delicious. Other foods not to miss are all the  species of local fishes, cheeses and the fruits. Platano (a type of banana) is grown all over the island and it is very famous for its sweet rich taste. 

 

There are plenty more things to do in Las Palmas and in the island of Gran Canaria but these 5 are a must do. My advice however is that you get here and explore, you will be amazed at the wonders the island has to offer.

Tags: #blogyourbackyard, canary islands, spain

Comments

1

what an awful blog! You could not have used worser images. Just my opinion

  Marv3lous Feb 6, 2014 8:47 PM

2

I Have just arrived in las Palmas and found the advice in this blog. Excellent. Have just been in the sea at Cantaras. Look forward to visiting the old town.

  Michael Feb 24, 2014 4:14 AM

3

Hi , I am going to las palmas in feb , and wondering how far is the old town from las cantras beach

  Margaret Kisby Oct 16, 2014 9:52 PM

4

Gran canaria is fantastic, and this blog captures Las Palmas very well. The first comment is clearly from a guy who holiday in the south and is used to egg chips and beans every day....

  Bobby Mar 9, 2015 5:58 AM

5

No no...first guy hit the nail on the head.

  iwannab33r Oct 5, 2016 12:42 PM

About redheaded_spaniard


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.