Existing Member?

My Travel Journal

Singapore - 16th June 2009

SINGAPORE | Friday, 19 June 2009 | Views [411] | Comments [1]

Got up early and finished packing up. Said goodbye to Shona - quite sad! We've been travelling together for 4&1/2 weeks and have seen so many sights together. But she's off home and a move to Oz which she is very excited about and I've still got 2  months to enjoy my freedom!!

So arrived at the airport with plenty of time, checked in and then had to pay $25 departure tax!!! I am not impressed with this at all. Not least because I am running out of dollars.

Have a quick breakfast and treat myself to a copy of the international Observer from last Sunday! This was amazing. I read it almost cover to cover. Still can't bring myself to read the Sport section. $6.50 but worth every penny. Particularly after the flight was delayed for approx 2 hours. Budget airlines - you've got to laugh else you'd cry. Which means I've got a very very quick changeover in KL.

After rushing around like a lunatic in KL, ie. trying to check in for my flight in the domestic area of the airport. Running with 13.5 Kg on my back is not funny. Flight to Singapore was ridiculously quick about 45mins and arrived in the world best Airport on time. Apparently CHangi Airport in Singapore has been voted the best in the world but its easy to see why. Very organised, free internet terminals all over the building and easy transport connection. I got the train straight to my nearest MRT stop City Hall and from there it was about 5 mins walk and a very helpful man pointed me in the right direction.

So I'd decided to treat myself to a little bit of luxury and found a good deal on expedia with B1G1F nights at the Conrad Centennial hotel. I didn't realise I'd booked an executive room! Which basically means you have all day access to a lounge similar to that at the airport only nicer with free booze, snacks etc. It even had seperate check in on the exec floor. Check me out. Feeling just a little out of place though. Wish I'd keep hold of some of the clothes I had made in Hoi An but 13.5 kgs is plenty for me.

Somewhere on my way to Singapore I had decided that I desperately needed to start exercising again. Its probably something to do with out small all the Asian women are. And I'm starting to feel like a big lumpy giant in comparison. So on my way out tonight, after free red wine and cheese!!! Irony is not lost on me, I bought some running shorts.

I then went to wonder around Esplanade on the Bay, a big theatre similar to the National theatre on the South Bank and then for a Singapore Sling in Raffles. Lovely lovely lovely. Had a few monkey nuts and threw the shells on the floor. Great start to a healthier new me.

Got back to my hotel room and noticed that they'd turned down with a box of chocolates! Yes -This hotel deal was amazing, they even had a little teddy to keep me company.

Comments

1

finally I have proper internet access and i have caught up on all your news! OMG you are having an amazing time aren't you lady! miss you loads and loads! had a boozy arvo in the garden with my folks, one i think you would have enjoyed!are you back late august? are you leaving from aus or anywhere i could join you in on your way home?? The globe have cofirmed they want me form aug 31 to early 2010 for american tour of loves labours, so maybe just this once I could justify a holiday to celebrate the big 30! be great to know what your plans are!!!! love you lots xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

  Rhiannon (the boring one who is still in england!) Jun 29, 2009 1:04 AM

About rebecca_fardoe


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Singapore

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.