Existing Member?

Charms, Beauty and Adventure "Adventure is worthwhile in itself.” – Amelia Earhart

Lions and Libraries and Liberty Oh My!

USA | Monday, 4 May 2015 | Views [219] | Scholarship Entry

As Frank Sinatra sings with his soft tone, ‘I want to wake up in a city that doesn't sleep,’ that is exactly how I felt when I arrived bright eyed and ready to take on New York.
To me New York had always been a place of mystery. A city that no matter what you initially think of it, will alter your opinion. With it’s slightly odd charms, it’s sweet (I’m still deciding) characters in Times Square, to its ability to make you fall in love over and over again.
After arriving in a blizzard of snow and ice, the stinging reality of what I had walked into hit me. Yet, it was not going to deter me sense of adventure.
Arriving under the stroke of midnight, the Empire State took my breath away. Being able to explore the surrounds of ‘Empy,' without the hustle of tourists was a dream. The New York skyline at night, was everything I had hoped for and more. Standing there, looking out at the Hudson River, with the snow beaming down on my little frozen face, made the reality of New York all that more real. I was sold. I was in. New York had me in that moment.
From experiencing the city at night, to wondering around Central Park (looking for ‘that’ fountain from FRIENDS) the next day, New York was living up to its promise; to make me smile. Although I never found that fountain or finished walking all 51 blocks of the park (I managed 25!), the grey sky opened just enough to allow the glare of the sun to melt the ice covered park benches and give me the opportunity to just sit there, and enjoy the magic of Central Park.
Completing two items off my itinerary, I knew I had more to see and do. Like, catch a ferry to view the Statue of Liberty - which I did, in minus 10 degree weather. Or walking the Brooklyn Bridge to view the flowing tides of the Hudson River, to strutting down Wall Street and finding unexpected charms.
Like the United Nations Headquarters, down on the East River. Just to stand in the chambers imagining the discussions all 193 member countries must have during the General Assembly was an experience. I do like the idea of doing a bit of learning on an adventure. And for a bit of a nerd, (I am not afraid to admit that) like me, the UN made my day.
From the Library Lions of the New York Public Library, to the ambience and romance of Grand Central Terminal. To stalking celebrities at Madam Tussards, New York has something on offer to anyone and everyone. And from the moment I arrived, under the grey covered skies, New York was mine for the taking.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About reannonelizabeth

Empire State

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.