Existing Member?

Lvs 2 Travel

When not in Rome...

USA | Friday, 24 June 2016 | Views [459]

Bittersweet fermentation, subtle conversations, and contagious smiles are a few things you can smell, hear, and see within this modest building. After the informative and brief tour ended, I was greeted with a flight. Now, this is why we and every other tourist is here in the City of Lights. Booze and a good time.

Before I sampled the first craft beer, I sat in the dark stained wooden chair and embraced the cool surroundings. The buffed metal and barn red paint brought on a sudden nostalgia of home. But I’m not home, I’m over 1,500 miles away. With my thirsty spouse and equally as thirsty friends sitting at the same table, I offered to play a game of cards. We are in the Gambling Capital of the World after all.

I walked over to the small faded metal bookshelf and found what caught the corner of my eye. A board game that I haven’t played since I was 10 years old. Giddily, I grabbed it. The condition of the box prompted me to remember the fate of my board game. Siblings and a new box of color crayons. I can still smell the orange crayon smearing across the new colorful box. 

The casual gentleman from the next table took notice to my tearful smile and offered a cheer. His deep British accent echoed throughout the hall while his tall pint and my short stange clanked to our good health. One by one, my samples were depleted. Naturally curious by the man’s accent and rustic t-shirt, I inquired about his travels. He told a story of a birthday celebration while his family rolled with laughter.

A simple cheer led to hilarious introductions and worldly conversations from each corner of the brewery. The staff kept the glasses full and the atmosphere alive from behind the modern bar top. Forgetting about the board game, I ordered another. Each time my glass filled with brown ale. Despite the touch of chocolate malt, the brown ale was crisp and clean. Its rich and dark appearance would lead you to believe otherwise. 

The on-site food vendor offered appetizers to all patrons. Though the aromatic bacon popcorn provided temporary hunger relief, it would not absolve you of an unfortunate day of recovery the next day. Especially when you have the all-you-can-drink wristband. 

Instead of falling to the Capital of Second Chances, regretting our decisions, or picking up pieces from the night; we walked, not stumbled, out into the sweltering dry heat happy and content.

What happened in Las Vegas, didn’t stay there. I took it with me, in a growler.

Tags: 2016 writing scholarship, brewery, craft beer, las vegas, usa

About reallylvs2travel


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.